OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Gun Optics  (Read 1608 times)

Offline GunRunner

Turkey Gun Optics
« on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »

I have used Bushnell Trophy red dot scopes in the past and I am a big fan.  As I prepare to setup my new turkey auto leader, I would like to learn more about the reflex or hollographic sights which I have no experience with.
I would appreciate hearing from those of you that have experience with both red dots and reflex sights on the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

GunRunner

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Turkey Gun Optics
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
Each will take you a little bit to get use too. The small RMR sights are small and mount close to your shotgun. Once you have it sighted in regardless of where the shotgun is on your body or how you are holding it all you have to do is have the red/green/Amber dot on the target with having both eyes open it will be a hit on target. Small are small sights and other are large. As with all things the better the quality the more they cost. Some start around $ 40. And go up to several hundred. If you have somewhere that sells a lot of different ones go and check them out to see what you can or cannot live with. Some are easy to change batteries others are not. Some have better adjustment knobs/screws than others. Some have the ability to put a kill flash on the front lens so that there is no glass reflection. Some of the dots look like dots and some look like a super nova and not well defined. Pehaps for the money the vortex is a good option, ff3,leupold. On the Higher end aimpoint and Trijicon are top notch. Hope this helps.

Offline Premier Turkey Calls

Re: Turkey Gun Optics
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »
For a shotgun, I would recommend a red dot. The advantage of a holographic is that there is little to no parallax. A red dot sight has parallax. For a turkey shotgun however, the parallax will not be much of a factor with shots of 60 yards and less. If you are interested in holographic sights, EOTech is the number 1 choice. The price on one is $500 and up, which I find to be too much for a turkey gun. Sightmark makes a good red dot that looks like the EOTech, with a large field of view and the are around $100. Look for good battery life and a sight that can handle shotgun recoil.