OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pics added.........Who is the expert on old Lynch calls ??

Started by Yoder409, January 14, 2018, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

I picked up a Lynch World Champion 12 hole a while back that has a couple peculiarities to my eye.  I would REALLY like to talk to someone who knows the old Lynch calls.

Any suggestions as to who may be the wealth of knowledge I'm looking for ??

Thanks, fellers !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

KentuckyHeadhunter

My first thought was Bill Henkel but I'm sure there are many others who may know.  Keep us updated, I'm curious what you may have. Someone on here would probably know also if you post it up.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Yoder409

I'll try to get a few pics of the call posted up.

It has two extra screw holes (for the paddle screw) on each end block.  Also, the base of the box (down inside) has the same kind of milled ribs that are on the outsides of the sound boards and the bottoms of the end blocks are mortised (?) to fit down on to those ribs.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

doublespurs21

try and find the book called,, TURKEY CALLSby Howard Harlam. there is a  whole chapter about  Lynch  box calls. a lot of old photos also. This is from the book...
  All Lynch calls stamped "Birmingham, Alabama" with the excepition of the year 1970 were made by Lynch. All calls stamped Liberty, Mississppi, were made by Allen Jenkins.
   if I rember right,, there is also another book out there about these box calls, think I saw that on ebay a couple of times...........

hunter22

Yoder409

Quote from: doublespurs21 on January 14, 2018, 12:47:59 PM
try and find the book called,, TURKEY CALLSby Howard Harlam. there is a  whole chapter about  Lynch  box calls. a lot of old photos also. This is from the book...
  All Lynch calls stamped "Birmingham, Alabama" with the excepition of the year 1970 were made by Lynch. All calls stamped Liberty, Mississppi, were made by Allen Jenkins.
   if I rember right,, there is also another book out there about these box calls, think I saw that on ebay a couple of times...........

I have Harlan's book.  It's pretty informative.  But there are some gaps in his info

There's another book called "Most Perfect" by a Raymond M. Mascierella II.  I do not have that one so I don't know what info it may contain.
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Quote from: hunter22 on January 14, 2018, 12:58:00 PM
NCBIGSHOT

Thank you, sir !!!

I'll have to shoot him a PM after I get some pics posted.
PA elitist since 1979

M Sharpe

Look up Allen Jenkins turkey calls and give him a call.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

nitro

Dalton Dowdy has a large collection of Lynch calls. Not sure if he is on here.

"Gobbling Lawyer" on most forums. He knows his stuff.
Royal Slam 2008

SS Calls

Yoder409

Thanks for all the leads, fellers !!!

I did get a few pictures snapped tonight.   Hopefully I can get them.posted up soon
PA elitist since 1979

dzsmith

If you by a long shot chance have the earl mickel book. callmakers past and present... That earl mickel book is coveted and to my knowledge there isn't a reprinted edition of it so if you were able to find it , your going to pay for it. I have quite the lynch collection myself. would love to chat with you sometime
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

i see you are already aware of the book "most perfect" too....other than the earl mickel book which i have never ready either because i literally have been waiting and bidding to try an get a good deal on one since there doesn't appear to be any second additions, i don't know where else to find the info. Im a member on a call collecting forum that has good info from time to time but its mostly second hand like it is here, and they have also referred me to the earl mickel book.....so we are in the same boat

dzsmith

The biggest thing im missing in my collection is the 12 holer...ive made some honest bids on them...but never win..or forget to check up on em

Yoder409

Finally getting a chance to upload some pics of this box.

Here's the whole thing:

The inside stampings:

The inside of the box and also showing the extra countersunk holes.  There are 3 such holes on each end.  The paddle screw ids run into the center hole on that end:

The mortising of the end blocks to the base:

Obviously, a piece of turkey hunting history.  Guessing, maybe 40's or 50's era................  I'm just really interested in any additional info I can gather about this call.
PA elitist since 1979