turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Vs 935

Started by Bigeclipse, January 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousec

I would buy the 935 for the difference.  Had both now only have the 935.

steelheadr

Quote from: knightrider on January 15, 2018, 08:55:14 PM
Whichever you decide get the pistol grip, your face will appreciate it :OGturkeyhead

no to pistol grip.  Much more movrment to take off safety on top of receiver. i have both 835 and 935 both shoot great. One sometimes shoot slightly better depending on load yuo're shooting.

wade

My turkey gun is a 935. Had an issue right after I bought it, Mossberg fixed it for free including shipping both ways. Mine came with a shim kit, not sure if they all do. Using the shims I raised the comb and that calmed the face slap. I shoot 3.5" Winchester Longbeard #5s using the extra full choke that came with the gun. Tried some other after market chokes none gave better patterns. If it was me I'd pay extra for the semi-auto. But I own and shoot other semi-auto shotguns. Can't go wrong either way the way I see it.
Do it outdoors

knightrider

Quote from: steelheadr on February 11, 2018, 02:22:00 PM
Whichever you decide get the pistol grip, your face will appreciate it :OGturkeyhead

no to pistol grip.  Much more movrment to take off safety on top of receiver. i have both 835 and 935 both shoot great. One sometimes shoot slightly better depending on load yuo're shooting.
you either have very freakishly small hands or never used one  :funnyturkey:, all you do is slide your thumb forward no extra movement at all

howl

Man, it's getting deep in here....

They're both overpriced throwaway guns. They will sure throw a pattern, though. I liked the 935 I had a lot better than the 835.

835 will outlast the 935. When the 835 starts rattling you can make it quiet again by putting furniture slider material inside the forearm to snug it against the barrel.

If used only for turkey hunting, the difference in price will be forgotten by the time you need to replace it.

mightyjoeyoung

Another mossberg hater, gun snob?  Overpriced throwaway guns?  I have 835 from the first year they came out that are still running stong and have had literally thousands of rounds through them both. The 935 is the same quality of gun.  Don't bash a gun just because you don't like the brand.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

howl

That's funny. Thousands isn't very many rounds. Ten thousands is more like it.

I like Mossbergs just fine and have killed plenty of game with them. They're not all that great, though. Recognizing what they are is not bashing. At $500 for an auto you're right on Beretta A300 money. They A300 is a much better, longer lasting gun. So, yeah, the 935 is overpriced for the quality. And it'll not last as long as other guns you can get for the same money.

The pumps are a better value, but longterm use will require replacing parts. That is not necessarily a bad thing. You should recognize what it is and value it accordingly.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: howl on February 12, 2018, 03:11:48 PM
That's funny. Thousands isn't very many rounds. Ten thousands is more like it.

I like Mossbergs just fine and have killed plenty of game with them. They're not all that great, though. Recognizing what they are is not bashing. At $500 for an auto you're right on Beretta A300 money. They A300 is a much better, longer lasting gun. So, yeah, the 935 is overpriced for the quality. And it'll not last as long as other guns you can get for the same money.

The pumps are a better value, but longterm use will require replacing parts. That is not necessarily a bad thing. You should recognize what it is and value it accordingly.

Thousands of rounds means many, many thousands of rounds.  Not light trap or game loads either.  I mean heavy,  high velocity waterfowl and turkey loads-by the multiple casefull every year.  Not something your average hunter does as do the guys I hunt with and I can't remember a failure in a mossberg...ever.  Not in the guns we use or the many hundreds I've sold.  Not something I can say for remmy or winny semi gas op guns.   The vast majority of hunters don't put anywhere close to the numbers of rounds I'm talking about, let alone your "tens of thousands"  comment like would be reserved for serious trap and skeet shooters.   Please also enlighten me on which parts, other than ONE on the 935, and ANY on the 835 that would need replacing?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

steelheadr

Quote from: knightrider on February 11, 2018, 10:54:04 PM

you either have very freakishly small hands or never used one  :funnyturkey:, all you do is slide your thumb forward no extra movement at all

Not movement to safety on standard stock because your thumb is on top of stock. on a pistol grip ypur thumb is below stock and you have to almost take your fingers off the pistol grip potion to get to safety. that said i wouldn't get it. my friend has an 835 with a pistol grip and likes it. each their own

KYStalker

I had an 835 24" that I really liked, but I bought a used 935 Grand Slam 22" for a great price that I love.  Sometimes I resort to crawling through the dirt to close the distance to a gobbler, and having fewer nooks and cranies to clean dirt out of is nice on the 935.  Also, both would shoot high.  Used a set of magnum gobble dot sights to fix that.
If you're not first, your last!!

Buckeye_Strutter_935

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM
I've been looking to get a new turkey gun. I've decided my budget fits either a mossberg 835 or 935. At the stores around me I have found a camo 835 with 24in barrel for 395$ and a 935 for 495$. Is literally the only difference between these is pump versus semi? Will they tend to pattern similarly? Which do you prefer for turkey hunting? I always like to try and save money but if there is a reason to spend the extra 100$ please let me know! Thanks!
i have the 935 and my brother has an 835 i personally will take a semi auto over pump anyday they both pattern amazing with ssx choke and 3.5 inch Winchester Longbeard XR 5 shot....i now use my stoeger m3500 but i will always have my mossy great gun
Feathers Fear Me

longislandloco

.........and the winner is?
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Spurs Up

Quote from: steelheadr on February 19, 2018, 02:26:11 PM
Quote from: knightrider on February 11, 2018, 10:54:04 PM

Not movement to safety on standard stock because your thumb is on top of stock. on a pistol grip ypur thumb is below stock and you have to almost take your fingers off the pistol grip potion to get to safety. that said i wouldn't get it. my friend has an 835 with a pistol grip and likes it. each their own

:you_rock:  Yep...I'll take a conventional trigger guard safety over a tang safety every time when coupled with a pistol grip stock.