turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

16g turkey loads

Started by dutch@fx4, February 03, 2018, 08:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutch@fx4

Any chance tss will come factory loaded in 16g.
Will federal make a great load for the 16g
I have been using the old imperial high brass in 16g number 5 and 6 buy I am getting low on them..i always look for more at gun shows.but Thy are slowly drying up.
What's everyone's favorite 16g load

owlhoot

I would have to say that Federal or any major companies making 16 gauge turkey loads is not a chance.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

You could hand load your own 16g. Tss if they are hard to come by.

BottomLand54

these calibers like 16 gauge and 28 gauge are just hard to find allot of accessories too. when a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge does the trick and now folks hoping on board with the .410 its hard for all these ammunition and choke manufactures to make everything.

if i was stuck on shooting one of those odd calibers i would have me a good choke built and but me the stuff and load my own loads like tss.

i think apex is going to be your best shot, or buy you a good 20 gauge and start shooting it.

Greg Massey

I have one of the old Remington Wingmaster in 16 game and it's in near perfect condition, i would have not reason to carry it turkey hunting. The only reason i keep it, is just for more of novelty now and i still have a bunch of 16 gauge shells ...  i would suggest getting a 20 gauge :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Chris O

Yeah it's a shame there aren't more ammo options for the odd gauges. I would hunt a lot of things with a 16 ga. If there were more options. I do use a 28 ga for small game and it sucks that you just can't stop at Walmart and buy ammo.

LaLongbeard

I have a 16 gauge Wingmaster and use it sometimes for squirrels. I thought about using it for turkeys with a TSS load but the 16 and 12 were made on the same frame and the weight difference isn't worth the trouble of patterning and choke tube testing. Perfect for small game though  and Walmart has 16 gauge 6's and 7's in lead.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Swampchickin234

I disagree with everyone on not necessary to shoot a 16.  Just by the stuff and load your own. Is it practical?  No. Is it fun?  Yes.  Get a 20 and a 16 and  a 12, and a 410, and a 28. Might as well get a 10.   Who can have to many shotguns hehehe. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on February 04, 2018, 05:45:14 PM
I disagree with everyone on not necessary to shoot a 16.  Just by the stuff and load your own. Is it practical?  No. Is it fun?  Yes.  Get a 20 and a 16 and  a 12, and a 410, and a 28. Might as well get a 10.   Who can have to many shotguns hehehe. 

The guy who never uses them can have to many. Lol

I hunted for YEARS without ever touching a shotgun for anything. Heck, I didn't own one for about 15-20 years. Got invited on a pheasant hunt and had to scramble to buy one. Few years later bought a couple squirrel dogs. After that my interest in them grew some. Now I find myself reaching for a shotgun at times I never had.

As for using the 16 ga, get a box of 5's or 6's in a pheasant load or something and get after it. It'll pattern well enough and kill turkeys at ranges we're not allowed to speak about here.