OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: On it's way.........  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
On it's way.........
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:53 PM »
Since my daughter has started to become an accomplished turkey slayer, we decided it was time she start shooting her own gun.  I had bought her an NWTF youth 20 ga single by NEF when she was probably a year old.  Bought it at a banquet and stuck it in the safe.   
So I packed up her barrel in a length of sewer pipe and it is currently somewhere between here and Georgia in the back of a brown truck.

Talked to William at SumToy on Monday and he will give her barrel the same going over that he gave mine.  Need to round her up a quality optic within the next few weeks so when the hardware arrives back home we can get her all set to start wrenching heads with her very own gun.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline monty690

Re: On it's way.........
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
Yessir!!!! Be sure to post some pictures of the gun and her turkeys. I'd like to have one of those myself and get Mr. William to trick it out.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
Sounds like you're going to have a very happy daughter.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
Sounds like you're going to have a very happy daughter.

She's my very best turkey hunting buddy and the little gal has the same ice water in her veins at crunch time as her old man.

She's already demonstrated  more than once that she knows how to run a little hammer gun..........    Now she can run her own.

I simply can not wait to get back out on a spring morning with her and her newly tricked gun !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
I would have William go ahead and install one of his FastFire III mounts on it while he has got it and just order her a FF III.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
I would have William go ahead and install one of his FastFire III mounts on it while he has got it and just order her a FF III.

I already stuck a Weaver rail on the gun years ago.  I'm more of a fan of an old skool 30mm tube red dot sight of good quality.  Just a personal preference.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »

I already stuck a Weaver rail on the gun years ago.  I'm more of a fan of an old skool 30mm tube red dot sight of good quality.  Just a personal preference.

Gotcha, I have a Remington 11-87 Super Mag that I have a Burris SpeedDot on and I love it, it's made a bunch of turkeys sleep. I went to a Benelli M2 20 ga. last spring and put a FF III on it as I wanted the gun to be as light as possible, I also built my daughter a Affinity Compact 20 ga. and a TriStar Viper G2 28 ga. for myself and topped both of them with the FF III's. I use to use Leupold Gilmore red dots (they were 35MM) but they are getting hard to find and Gilmore isn't very good about standing behind them, I have a buddy that has one that fogs up and Gilmore wants 75.00 to fix it, not very good customer service if you ask me.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »
I have the 135 Speed Dot on my single 20 ga and love it, as well !!    I think that's what the girl's will wear when all is said and done.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »
Got the call from Mr. William yesterday .........

The daughter's 20 ga barrel is on it's way home !!!

I will GUARANTEE you I am as pumped as she is, if not more.  Can't wait to slap that little hammer gun back together and get her out shredding some paper !!   
PA elitist since 1979

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:48 PM »
 :blob10: :blob10:

Anxious to see the results. Gonna be fun!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »
Best of luck to her, wish I had gotten started young, I did not start hunting til my mid 20's
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
:blob10: :blob10:

Anxious to see the results. Gonna be fun!

I bet you are.   I bet the local turkey population ain't   

:OGturkeyhead:
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:31 PM »
Best of luck to her, wish I had gotten started young, I did not start hunting til my mid 20's

Thank you !!

Pickle already has a couple seasons and a couple gobblers on her resume'.     She's quite the huntin buddy !! 

I started when I was 14, I believe.   She's just 13 and has her old man upstaged by that age. 

Never too late to start.  Never too old or good at it to learn.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
Put Pickle's new 20 to paper over the weekend.

Squarely 150 HW7's in the 10" at 42 yards (I sat down and set up before I ranged it and wasn't moving)........   Her gun's doing about 15 more than mine.

The local turkeys are in a heap of crap.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
Here's the final sight-in.

I think she's ready to go this Saturday.

PA elitist since 1979