turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sighting in red dot

Started by potter, January 11, 2018, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Im thinking of putting a scope on. Will poi be different at 20yds if I sight in deadon at 40yds? What would be best yardage to sight in?

paboxcall

I'd try low brass at closer range to save the shoulder, like twenty yards, with your turkey choke tube in. Shoot at a small dot or mark on large piece of cardboard. Leave gun in the rest, and put red dot back on the aim point. Adjust left/right and up/down to where the center of the pattern hit.

Then move to 40 yards and repeat. Once locked in try the turkey loads and make any fine tune adjustments.

My  :z-twocents: Bill.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gentry

Yep that's the best way. Even then the low brass poi is sometimes different than the turkey shell so you may just want to use the shells that your gonna shoot hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

Quote from: Gentry on January 13, 2018, 02:07:04 PM
Yep that's the best way. Even then the low brass poi is sometimes different than the turkey shell so you may just want to use the shells that your gonna shoot hunting.

I think the point of using the low brass is to get you as close as possible before getting walloped by 3.5" shells. This is what I do to get in the ball park of poa/poi and then I start shooting turkey loads to fine tune. A lot less pain only having to shoot a few turkey loads to fine tune than shooting a bunch doing the whole process.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: wmn2 on January 18, 2018, 07:26:51 AM
Quote from: Gentry on January 13, 2018, 02:07:04 PM

I think the point of using the low brass is to get you as close as possible before getting walloped by 3.5" shells. This is what I do to get in the ball park of poa/poi and then I start shooting turkey loads to fine tune. A lot less pain only having to shoot a few turkey loads to fine tune than shooting a bunch doing the whole process.

This. 
Further, poi will be lower at closer ranges, depending on how high you have yojr optics mountedmas the barrel is below your reticle and if shooting dead on at 40 and your reticle is centered 2 inches above the muzzle, the closer you get to the target, the lower your pattern will hit.  Make sense?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.