turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dissapointed with H13 #7's

Started by Skeeter41, April 16, 2011, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter41

Shot the #6's last year and was getting around 220 per 10".  Killed a bird at 15 yards.  I wanted to try the #7's this year, so I purchased two boxes.  Finally got to shoot them tonight.  196 in a 10 - not bad and will definitely kill a bird, but at that I wish I had more of the 6's.

Shot out of an 835 with a jellyhead.

I know this has been posted over and over and over again, but I am really hoping Heavy is reading the boards to see what people are saying and will change back.  With the problems that Heavy had this year, I am hoping another company steps up to the plate for next year.

new2turkey

Sorry to hear that... It'd be great for them to stop messing with things....

its too much to change something every year... Especially when they actually produce worse patterns.

Fullfan

What is the constriction on your JH ?? Did you clean your barrel prior to shooting??
Don't gobble at me...

SumToy

The 7's can get by with a smaller choke.  Now with that said we had guy stop by today to test a gun.  He miss target 2 times so not get the hole pattern.  I think the 6's will shoot VERY good out the big bore gun.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Skeeter41

Jellyhead was a 690.  Shot at a 3' X 3' sheet of paper.  Center of the patters was about 4 inches low and 4 inches to the right compared to the #6's.

Barrel was heavily cleaned and shiny as a mirror.  Barrel length is 28 inches.  This will be the last year for me with Hevi-13.  Why they would change a good thing is beyond me.

SumToy

Drop it to a 675. Sumtoy customs,PG,StarDot or IC put good numbers.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Fullfan

My Jh is a .660, Thinking you should drop a few sizes.
Don't gobble at me...

SumToy

Folks say that choke works but I can not say yes or no. I will say in the 835/935 I think it is to small.

ILIKEHEVI-13

About 270 shot is probably in my experience about the most your going to get out that .690 Jelly Head choke and good Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads.  You need around a .670 or .675 and maybe .680.  More than likely the first 2 will put up the bigger numbers with the 7's and the .680 will do better with the 6's.  Try finding a Star Dot or just buy a Pure Gold .670.  Both those chokes will sing with the Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loads.  I know that for a fact.  You will be very, very hard pressed to find a choke that will shoot these loads better. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll add I had a Indian Creek .675 BDS and I traded it for a .670 Pure Gold.  The Pure Gold will most definately put up bigger numbers with these loads.  The Indian Creek is still a good choke giving around 300 shot in the 10 out of my 28" barrel.

Skeeter41

Fullfan - you must be shooting out of a Remington for a .660.  They don't make a 660 for a Mossberg.  they only thing I can find is 690 jellyhead.

Anyways, last year people were getting well over 300 with the 690 jellyhead out of the mossberg.  I have a MAD that is a .680 that I am going to try on the next nice day the only thing is it is stamped lead only - I am still going to try it and see what it does.

The pattern I shot will kill any bird I shoot at, it is just the point of things.  Next year I will be loading TSS.

goblr77

Quote from: Skeeter41 on April 16, 2011, 01:24:22 PM
Fullfan - you must be shooting out of a Remington for a .660.  They don't make a 660 for a Mossberg.  they only thing I can find is 690 jellyhead.

Anyways, last year people were getting well over 300 with the 690 jellyhead out of the mossberg.  I have a MAD that is a .680 that I am going to try on the next nice day the only thing is it is stamped lead only - I am still going to try it and see what it does.

The pattern I shot will kill any bird I shoot at, it is just the point of things.  Next year I will be loading TSS.

I would have to be standing there to believe 300 @ 40 out of the .690 Jellyhead and any lot # Hevi 7's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on April 16, 2011, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: Skeeter41 on April 16, 2011, 01:24:22 PM

I would have to be standing there to believe 300 @ 40 out of the .690 Jellyhead and any lot # Hevi 7's.

Me too!  It in my opinion is just too open.  It throws a nice killing turkey pattern no doubt about it and really is all the choke you should ever need.  I had one and got rid of it.  I now have another one.  Maybe on a 90 degree day it might get close to the 300 mark.  But I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Skeeter41

I am possitive I was reading last year people were getting close to and over 300, maybe it was my imagination.  The 20 inch pattern was tremendous.  I will shoot the .680 tomorrow and see what it does.

Gobble!

What's the lot number on the 7s?
You Probably got a bad lot number
I feel you should be over 300 with the .690
I saw my friend put over 250 with the #6s with that choke