OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help Me Choose a New Rifle Scope

Started by WNCTracker, January 10, 2018, 07:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

It kind of depends where and what you're hunting too.  I hunt deer in mostly heavy cover and the longest shot I ever took was a doe between the eyes at 198 yards.  I have Leupold VX iii  2.5 x 8 x 36 on my .308, .30-'06, TC .50 cal muzzleloader, and Ruger 77/22 Mag.  That size & power scope just works well for me.  I had a 3.5 x 10 x 50 on the '06 for a half of a season, but it was too bulky and threw the balance of the rifle off badly.  Plus, the extra weight was a P.I.T.A to carry long distances.  That 50 mm had great light gathering ability, but it had a wide profile on the rifle and seemed out of place.  Great for shooting off a bench, but not very handy in the woods.

If you were hunting out west or across big agricultural fields, you should go with a bigger glass. But if you're going to have to tote it through brush, hunt limited sight distances, and take long treks afield, a lighter weight, compact size may be your friend.

I used to sell Leupold scopes in a sports shop and they had an advertisement about a gun shop in Harrisburg, PA that flooded in Hurricane Agnes in 1973 where the entire stock of scopes was buried in mud and water for weeks.  Every brand of scope in the store failed from extended immersion, except for Leupold.  They had ZERO failure. That helped sell me on the brand.  Besides, their warranty backs them if there's an issue.  Made in USA too.  Win, win, win!

Jim

Good luck whatever you go with.
Luck counts, good or bad.

Happy

I run leupold on my deer rifle. It has been great and don't see it changing. Great scope that takes abuse and keeps going. That being said I put a vortex on my boys .308 and it has not needed touched after two years. It was dead nuts on when we checked it this fall. The optics quality seems to be as good as leupold and it holds a zero exceptionally as well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

idratherb

Fullfan

I have several Leupold vx3 scopes. Last year  purchased two Vx6 scopes. Leaps and bounds better that the vx3. Keep your eyes open and you can find the original vx6 at good prices due to the HD vx line becoming available.
Don't gobble at me...

davisd9

Leupold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

Keep your eyes open for the VX-3 CDS on sale.  I put one on my 300 win mag last year and I love it.  Crystal clear, no questions ask warranty, just sight it in at 200 with Federal Fusion ammo then you just dial the range of the animal, hold died on and shoot.  Picked up a 3.5x10x50 CDS for $399 plus a $30 rebate last March. 

supremepredator

Vortex. I used to work behind the gun counter at dunams and one of the perks was getting my hands on all the scopes in the display case. I personally use nikon, but after looking at the vortex scopes, they are far better quality. The warranty is bad  as well.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

compton30

Vortex is absolutely the one I'd recommend. Warranty is obviously as good as it can possibly get, but that Viper glass is also exceptional. I'm excited just thinking about it and may go look at one myself!

WNCTracker

Quote from: supremepredator on January 10, 2018, 09:30:30 PM
Vortex. I used to work behind the gun counter at dunams and one of the perks was getting my hands on all the scopes in the display case. I personally use nikon, but after looking at the vortex scopes, they are far better quality. The warranty is bad  as well.

did you look through the meopro?

southern_leo

Vortex...american made, vet owned, best warranty. Even if you break the glass and it's your fault it's covered 100% and that warranty transfers. The other brands are good too but I like companies that stand behind their products.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

I don't believe any of the scopes listed are American made except Leupold.  No arguing that Meopta  makes nice glass, but Leupold vx3/ vxiii is pretty darn nice glass.  I own at least one of each of the brands listed, and then some, but Leupold would be my first choice of those listed by a large margin.

Quote from: WNCTracker on January 11, 2018, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: supremepredator on January 10, 2018, 09:30:30 PM
Vortex. I used to work behind the gun counter at dunams and one of the perks was getting my hands on all the scopes in the display case. I personally use nikon, but after looking at the vortex scopes, they are far better quality. The warranty is bad  as well.

did you look through the meopro?

Quote from: southern_leo on January 11, 2018, 03:23:11 PM
Vortex...american made, vet owned, best warranty. Even if you break the glass and it's your fault it's covered 100% and that warranty transfers. The other brands are good too but I like companies that stand behind their products.

WNCTracker

I have a vx3i right now and want to go a different way on this purchase. The meopta interests me but climbing a tree a hundred times pulling a gun up a rope, walking rocky steep bluffs I think it's possible the viper warranty could prove it's worth.   Plus I can buy used with confidence.

owlhoot

Quote from: southern_leo on January 11, 2018, 03:23:11 PM

Vortex American made ?
Maybe the Razor?  Last I read Japan, Philippines and China .
Veteran owners is a good thing though.

USMC0331

Vortex or meoptia. Vortex makes very good scopes and Tier 1 warranty.  Meoptia has the best glass of the bunch listed. Leupold is assembled in USA, some internals and all glass is imported.

Swampchickin234

Vortex or leupold....ALL DAY LONG