OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are ALL South Dakota spring turkey tags.............  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Are ALL South Dakota spring turkey tags.............
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
...............by application ONLY ???

Looking at their website and it appears to me that they are all by application.  No over the counter.

Is that the case ???
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline birdman24

Re: Are ALL South Dakota spring turkey tags.............
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
...............by application ONLY ???

Looking at their website and it appears to me that they are all by application.  No over the counter.

Is that the case ???
Yes, with one exception. I think you can go to one of the division offices and buy leftovers, but I believe there are only a handful of those around the state.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »
What about the reservations? Is it possible to purchase a SD turkey tag over the counter there, like at Pine Ridge for example?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline birdman24

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:46:50 PM »
What about the reservations? Is it possible to purchase a SD turkey tag over the counter there, like at Pine Ridge for example?
Tribal permits are separate from state permits. You'd have to check with the reservation to see how you buy them. I've never hunted any of the reservations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline marshboy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:55 AM »
South Dakota is odd to me.
I can purchase a non resident small game license online in minutes, and be good to go for pheasants, prairie grouse, etc.
But to spring turkey hunt even the Black Hills, where turkey tags are unlimited in number, I have to send in an application and wait days for the tag.
Seems strange?
Greg

Offline Cove

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
That's the way I remember it. I assume they want you to have that brightly colored adhesive tag to attach to your gobbler if successful. I was able to buy the permit once and when it didn't show up in time I stopped at Scheels in Rapid City and purchase a "duplicate" as if I had lost the permit for a few bucks. This was on the recommendation of someone with the Fish and Wildlife so I assume it was legal.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
That really is messed up, IMHO............

I'm looking at doing 10 days hunting in Wyoming and Nebraska.  Turkey hunting being turkey hunting, I may be all 10 days trying to kill one bird in either state, orrrrrrr....................... Turkeys may be wishing to commit suicide and I could be tagged out in BOTH states in 5 or 6 days.  Just thought it would be convenient, if needed, to bop up into SD and grab an OTC tag and see some new trees and hills.  But I guess that ain't happening.

As far as reservation tags............ I had been considering that quite seriously.............until I started talking to some folks and doing some online research.  Seems there are places (some are worse than others) that an out-of-state plate on a vehicle parked along the road in spring turkey season means several free hours to pilfer and vandalize til the hunter gets back.  True to what degree, I don't know.  But I ain't interested in doing the field test.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline dirtnap

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
You can go by the fish and game office and purchase one there.  I did it a couple years ago in Rapid City.  It is kind of time consuming.  You have to go on their computer and it took what seemed like an hour to complete the process. 

Offline Ridge

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
You could also change up your game plan slightly. You could plan on doing SD/WY and then hitting NE if time allowed, or NE/SD and then WY if time allowed. Either scenario would get you around the proposed application situation.

Offline Cove

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:47:58 AM »
That really is messed up, IMHO............

I agree it's not the most convenient, but there are other states that are much more difficult to hunt- some having you apply for a specific window of dates and confines you to a certain area. That really makes things tough. I'd suggest applying for the tag and starting there and then moving to the more convenient states like someone suggested. The Black Hills are definitely worth seeing.

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Do you have to apply for a tag in the black hills?

Offline Ridge

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
Do you have to apply for a tag in the black hills?

Yes, you have to apply. However, there is no quota or deadline to apply. The only thing you have to be sure to do is apply for your tag early enough to actually receive the tag before you depart for your trip. They say 7-10 days prior, but personally I wouldn't cut it that close.

Offline buzzardroost

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »
I really want to go. Just not sure about going on a trip that far away and unfamiliar by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
Stop one state short,,turkey hunting in Minnesota is one of the best kept secrets,,not big birds but they are everywhere.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »
Stop one state short,,turkey hunting in Minnesota is one of the best kept secrets,,not big birds but they are everywhere.

Except that their tail feathers are the wrong color for this trip.........  Lol !!
PA elitist since 1979