OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? Bad patterns  (Read 15143 times)

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: What am I doing wrong? Bad patterns
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Id try a sumtoy .562 or a Remington super full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
They shot awfully well for us. 

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
FWIW I get inconsistent patterns shooting 1-5/8 oz of #9 TSS thru an IC 555 in my 870 compact. Different recipe than yours and no chewed up wads. But I’ll get a dense core (350-ish) one shot and 250 the next. Total in the 20” is a little less variable but inconsistent all the same. Much more consistent results (10”=260/10-20”=240) for me using a RSF. The RSF goes to the woods with me when using that shot size and weight.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »
That chewed up wad is not right, I have recovered several of mine and they sure do not look like that.

Where you located at ??
Don't gobble at me...

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
That chewed up wad is not right, I have recovered several of mine and they sure do not look like that.

Where you located at ??

South Louisiana, New Orleans area

Offline Hevishot 13

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »
Youve got something messed up, I shoot that same load and get around 300 in the ten inch at 40, with around 200 in the 20 inch. You have to be consistent and precise in loading these. Go exactly by Hal’s direction and dont deviate from it 

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
What am I doing wrong? Bad patterns
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 11:34:31 PM »
Youve got something messed up, I shoot that same load and get around 300 in the ten inch at 40, with around 200 in the 20 inch. You have to be consistent and precise in loading these. Go exactly by Hal’s direction and dont deviate from it

Trying, ordered a box of apex ammo, once I shoot them I'll know if it's gun or load maybe

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:56:21 PM by sasquatch1 »

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »

Trying, ordered a box of apex ammo, once I shoot them I'll know if it's gun or load maybe

Possibly but they could be using a different wad. That is a variation of the BIG 20XL with the VP92 wad, which I shoot. Hal changed the load cause the VP92 was not being carried by BP. Someone elsewhere did a big order and got more wads for people. My friend USMC0331 is shooting that load with that wad and I think he is doing a bit more in the 10” with a BPS with 26” barrel. Not sure which choke.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »

Possibly but they could be using a different wad. That is a variation of the BIG 20XL with the VP92 wad, which I shoot. Hal changed the load cause the VP92 was not being carried by BP. Someone elsewhere did a big order and got more wads for people. My friend USMC0331 is shooting that load with that wad and I think he is doing a bit more in the 10” with a BPS with 26” barrel. Not sure which choke.

I'm loading it with the CSD wad, which was in the load data when I got it.

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
What am I doing wrong? Bad patterns
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
Think I may have found a cause. I'm using an antique roll hand crimper, which I assume from its age was for 2 3/4 shells and by loading 3" shells into it, it kinda is putting pressure on the shell at and angle at first and slightly bending the shell in a sense. I guess I haven't noticed or this one did it worst to where it was more noticeable, idk, will do the next with a drill press and see.

Maybe this pic will show what I'm talking about
Will load some more and try and shoot next week again when it warms up a bit

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
I use an antique roll crimper as well and they work great. The shell length shouldn’t matter.  It doesn’t take much pressure to get a good crimp. You should be compacting the load in the hull before putting it in the crimper.  You might be pushing it too hard in the crimper or it is out of alignment.

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
I use an antique roll crimper as well and they work great. The shell length shouldn’t matter.  It doesn’t take much pressure to get a good crimp. You should be compacting the load in the hull before putting it in the crimper.  You might be pushing it too hard in the crimper or it is out of alignment.

I'm def applying a good bit of pressure but it seems I need too? The load is compact before I crimp but unless I just dnt know how long I have to turn it, it's not crimping down tight unless I push hard? Maybe I'm trying to crimp too much hull but I only have 3/8 above the wad

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
This is how it's pushing sideways. By shell being to long the lever touches the edge of the shell at first and when applying pressure it pushes to the side slightly

Offline Hevishot 13

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »

I’m shooting both wads in the big 20xl. the vp92 wad and the csd, my gun patterned better with the csd wad. I got in on that big bulk order and I currently have 500 each of both the csd wad and the vp92. the csd patterned better with less flyers. I hope this helps someone

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
I trim my hulls so that I have 1/4” above the overshot card before crimping.  Your roll crimps do look just a bit deep to me, especially the first one you posted.