OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20ga loads question.

Started by nhhunter722, January 29, 2018, 11:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhhunter722

After many hours of reading I have decided to join the 20ga club. I purchased a lightly used 870 youth with the plan of building a dedicated turkey rig. So I purchased a Carlsons p/n#10302 extended .575 choke, a b-square mount lt mount and I had a Bushnell trs-25 laying around. Ok so locally I have plenty of lead load options to choose from. I will be polishing the barrel this weekend which a have done 5-6 other 870s for myself and friends. I hunt ridge birds where the average shot is 25yds but Ive always limited myself to 40yds with 870 12ga using lead but Ive never had to shoot at that distance, 35 yds at the most. Not looking for huge numbers in paper just looking for a good confident hunting setup with the choke I have for this season. Any help is very much appreciated!

Fullfan

Federal Heviweight 7 shot is very nasty. But finding the shells now might be a problem.
Don't gobble at me...

sswv

got a youth 20ga 870 myself and tried everything I could find and the end result for me is the Federal HW #7's. I actually retired my old 12ga 870 turkey gun after 29 years. I don't see a need to ever carry it again as long as Federal makes the HW #7's. If 40 yards and under is your limit then you'll feel the same after you kill your first bird. my gun really likes the TruLok Federal HW #7 choke. It'll average 180 in a 10" circle all day at 40 yards. I know there's other chokes that'll do the same or maybe even better but my guns happy and so am I.  I've not tried the Carlsons choke like you have but I'm sure someone will chime with hands on.

best of luck to ya

Tom Foolery

Fed HW 7's if you can find them.  Hevi13 #6's have been great killer for me from the 20 gauge also.

If you're looking for lead, I've also had good luck out to 35yds or so with the Federal 1 5/16oz FCW #6's.

Winchester longbeards might be worth a look too.

fishr64

I have a Primos Tightwad .570 that shoots an even 20 inch pattern at 40 yards with either #6 or #7 Hevi shot and an Indian Creek .555 that shoots tight with#7 Hevi shot at 40 yards. I would think that.575 Carlson should give you what a nice 40 yard pattern as well but haven't shot one.

tnanh

I have 3 20 gauge turkey guns and I have a Carlson .575 for all of them. A Mossberg bantam, a youth 870 and a H&R youth turkey that I got tapped to take chokes. The Carlson doesn't get the highest numbers but it gives the most consistent numbers from shot to shot by far. In the 870 20 gauge it does 130s with an even patter with heavy 13 #6s. For some reason that gun shoots the heavy 13 6s better than 7s or heavyweight 7s. Sometimes I think I like turkey guns better than turkey hunting. Last couple of years turkey hunting have been tough for areas of Tennessee I have to hunt. 

nhhunter722

daddyduke

I have had great success with lead 3" federal strut-shok. ( AKA Turkey Thugs)
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

nhhunter722

daddyduke I believe I have a box of #5s, I will get them a try also.

Thank you sir