OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What am I doing wrong? Bad patterns

Started by sasquatch1, January 09, 2018, 04:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

Just getting into tss loading. And I just can't get a great pattern. 870, 21" barrel and Hal's big 20xl load, 1 5/8 oz number 9. Indian creek 555 and my old trulock choke from fed  hw. I'm averaging 180 in the 10. What's really driving me is on the whole paper I'm only counting in the 400s of pellets total. 711 grains of shot equals the 1 5/8 oz right. Idk what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Crimp is tight, no shot rattling at all.

davisd9

What wad is it?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

sasquatch1

Fullfan

Where did you buy your shot from ? The holes in the paper look a lil big to me  TSS #9 shot

There should be  362 pellets per oz with the 9's
Don't gobble at me...

sasquatch1

Hal, the holes are dotted in permanent marker so they look bigger. I counted em today and had around 560 in the load and I wasn't to thorough on the count so ther was prob more

Fieldturkey

sasquatch1

Remington 870, 21" barrel

Rapscallion Vermilion

How did you slit the wads?  It looks like you are slinging shot.  See if you can recover your wads and post a pic. Look at the powder skirt too.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 09, 2018, 07:03:18 PM
How did you slit the wads?  It looks like you are slinging shot.  See if you can recover your wads and post a pic. Look at the powder skirt too.

Ok, I split one 3/4 way down and the other half way down. Shot twice, same results. What do you mean by the powder skirt?

sasquatch1

Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 09, 2018, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 09, 2018, 07:03:18 PM

Ok, 4 slits, I split one 3/4 way down and the other half way down. Shot twice, same results. What do you mean by the powder skirt?

Rapscallion Vermilion

The base of the wad adjacent to the powder that forms the gas seal.  Is it still intact, or did part of it blow off?

sasquatch1

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 09, 2018, 07:17:11 PM
The base of the wad adjacent to the powder that forms the gas seal.  Is it still intact, or did part of it blow off?

Ok I'll go back and try to find the wads tomorrow

davisd9

Why are you cutting the slits differently?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

sasquatch1

Quote from: davisd9 on January 09, 2018, 07:44:26 PM
Why are you cutting the slits differently?

In each shell they were the same. I just loaded two differently shells with diff length cuts to see which would maybe pattern better. They were about the same pattern wise though.