Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Thinking on getting a dsd leading hen

Started by Fl strutter, January 09, 2018, 12:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

I'm leaning towards the leading hen over the upright hen and only wanting to get 1. Any thoughts or advise from those that have them? May one day get the jake but not sure if I would like the 3/4 strut better than a regular standing jake.

backwater

I only have the upright hen so I can't compare the two.  I have been using mine for four years and I really like how the turkeys respond to them.   Jmho

Fl strutter

I like just using a hen most times but I read where people have a lot of luck with the jake

MK M GOBL

So here is a bit with the DSD's

Upright Hen: by herself she is looking/relaxed not an "alert", dominant hens come to her as a challenge (hens will come to
                    her/fight and more) pairs up with Jake or Strutter plus you can short stake her for a "Breeding Hen"

Feeding Hen: by herself and gives the all is good pose, adds to upright hen pose. When with tom or jake she is just a hen doing
                    her own thing as male follows

Leading hen: she is made to work with other hens "she's the boss" I match her to a hen flock.

3/4 strut Jake: by himself or paired with hen puts the social structure in play "dominance". *I never have more than one Jake
                      out, reason being is issues with "jakes ganging up on toms"

Much more to all of this dependent on your area, hunt, time of season and more... how and when to set, when to use or not.

Hope this helps a bit, ask the question and I will see if I can help

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Solo Jake sets work!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

And Hen flock set (Leading, Upright and Feeding)

MK M GOBL

Fl strutter

To me the leading hen looks more relaxed than upright hen and both can be set as breeding hen. I'm only looking to get 1 hen. The jake I'm unsure about as I don't want it to spook off any gobbler and don't know that I'll use it a lot. I don't hunt many fields. I may be better off with 2 hens.

allchokedup

I don't own the Leading hen, but the Upright hen has been fantastic. I've had to repaint the eyes several times because of the hens pecking the heck out them.
I like all my DSD's , but if I had to choose one it would be the jake.
I just ordered the new Mating Motion pair and it's scheduled for delivery today.
I may never use the motion aspect of it, but it's there if I choose.
Can't wait to try them out this season.
My opinion on the hens would be the Upright hen.
Good luck.

Fl strutter

MK M GOBL

This direct from DSD.

Upright Hen "Our original and still our #1 selling turkey decoy, the DSD Upright Hen is the decoy that started it all!"

Beyond this there is NO decoy that will guarantee you, you will not spook a bird with it. It's the nature of turkey hunting.

I can say I have had way more positive results with my DSD's than negative, you need to learn how to hunt them and in what situations. Don't expect to just put it out and think gobblers are just going to come running...

I hear this so much when giving seminars especially when using a strutter, if you are not hunting him "right" that's where you are having problems. We have killed everything from the Boss of the Timber down to a jake they all work in when the set is right.  This goes for all your decoy sets, just like with waterfowl, deer, coyotes, doves and crows how you set makes a difference. 

Full Strut DSD and Abby's first bird, a jake under 15yards and done!

MK M GOBL

allchokedup

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 11, 2018, 11:28:38 AM
This direct from DSD.

Upright Hen "Our original and still our #1 selling turkey decoy, the DSD Upright Hen is the decoy that started it all!"

Beyond this there is NO decoy that will guarantee you, you will not spook a bird with it. It's the nature of turkey hunting.

I can say I have had way more positive results with my DSD's than negative, you need to learn how to hunt them and in what situations. Don't expect to just put it out and think gobblers are just going to come running...

I hear this so much when giving seminars especially when using a strutter, if you are not hunting him "right" that's where you are having problems. We have killed everything from the Boss of the Timber down to a jake they all work in when the set is right.  This goes for all your decoy sets, just like with waterfowl, deer, coyotes, doves and crows how you set makes a difference. 

Full Strut DSD and Abby's first bird, a jake under 15yards and done!

MK M GOBL

Nice!!!

rock54

i have the dsd upright hen and only use her with my DECEPTION jake decoy in the submissive position, this combo has put alot of birds down for my wife and i, under 20 yds.  i have tons of faith in this set up.  i also have 2 dsd feeder hens that i just put off to the side about 10-15yds away from my main set up, to in my mind to add some relaxation to the total scene ??? good luck with your decision, russ

Ericbrooks

I agree with the single jake.
I use the Dakota jake with great results.

If I was only going to use one decoy it would be the jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jims

A definite advantage of the upright vs feeding hen is an upright is a lot easier for turkeys to spot...especially in areas with taller vegetation and hills.  It's easier for a 6' human to see hens in tall grass than a turkey that is only 2' tall....put yourself in the place of a turkey!

Fl strutter

I got the leading hen on the way! May get the jake before season