OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choice of shotgun

Started by shaman, January 08, 2018, 01:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerpoo22

I'll never depart with my SBE 2. Just fits me perfectly

kjnengr

I've been a pump guy for the first 7 years of turkey hunting. Last year I started hunting with a Semi-auto.  I like the inertia driven autos due to light weight, reliability and a quick follow up shot. 

I've always thought about an over and under with a two choke set up. One barrel/choke set up for up close, and the other with a tighter pattern for 30+ yards.

diyj98

I grew up hunting with over and unders, but didn't want to scratch up a $1,000+ gun, so I picked up a used 11/87 with synthetic stock and use if for all my shotgun work now days.  I also like the fact that it doesn't kick me to death with heavy 3" loads.

G squared 23

Grew up with semi-autos, and as long as you're not a slob and keep it clean, it will fire. Berettas and Benellis are the most reliable. 

For turkey hunting, my first choice for blind hunting is my grandpa's Ithaca 10 gauge.  It hasn't ever missed a turkey in my hands, shots ranging from 10-40.

2nd choice if I want to go lighter, be more mobile, or just have a bunch of other stuff to carry is a Benelli Super Black Eagle with an Xtra full choke. This gun is NOT lights out at 40 yards like the 10 gauge and has occasionally required a follow up shot.

mtns2hunt

[quote

2nd choice if I want to go lighter, be more mobile, or just have a bunch of other stuff to carry is a Benelli Super Black Eagle with an Xtra full choke. This gun is NOT lights out at 40 yards like the 10 gauge and has occasionally required a follow up shot.
[/quote]

I have the Benelli. I think if you put in the time experimenting with chokes and different loads you would get some great patterns. Nothing agianst the 10 g but to me it just seems over kill for turkeys. Kind of like that punt gun used for ducks at the turn of the century.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BTH

11 87 SPS w/shur shot stock w/rifle sight barrel for me. I change it out to the factory stock and 26" beaded barrel for doves, duck, upland etc. Love that gun, had it since early college years. it has never let me down. Had to have one after absconding my brothers whenever I could. He got his in '87 when they came out.
I was glad to get away from the 870 Wingmaster. Wonderful gun however being left handed, I couldn't shoot it worth a darn!

For field and on open area turkey hunts I tote the SP 10. It is also my goto for waterfowl and coyotes.

If I had to have one gun for everything it would be an 870 supermag 23" barrel that was built several years ago.
Phil 4:13

SD_smith

12 Ga H&R single shot. Chambered at 3 1/2 inches but trust me you wont shoot bigger than 2 3/4 because it feels like its trying to tear your shoulder off. Cut the barrel down to 21 inches and the turkey choke from primos make it 22 inches. Took off the walnut stocks and put on synthetic to make it lighter and it officially weighs right at 3 pounds. Honestly it is the best set up turkey gun I've ever had but with that said it freaking hurts to shoot. Thing literally almost causes damage to your arm/shoulder.

stinkpickle

Looking back, I've been using mostly pump guns (Browning, Mossberg, Winchester).  A Browning BPS has been my primary gun for the last 17 years, but I still take my old backup Mossy 500 and 835 when I feel like it.  I bought a Benelli M2 earlier this year, so this will be the first year chasing turkeys with an autoloader.  I have an 1100 and a Montefeltro, but I've never used them to hunt turkey, though.

BrowningGuy88

I've killed most of my birds with a pump. Most with an 870 20 gauge youth with 21" barrel.

I have 3 dedicated turkey guns that are pumps.

My all around 12 gauge is an automatic (Browning Maxus).

My next turkey gun will be a SxS 20 gauge slinging TSS.

g8rvet

Quote from: diyj98 on March 27, 2018, 09:06:32 PM
I grew up hunting with over and unders, but didn't want to scratch up a $1,000+ gun, so I picked up a used 11/87 with synthetic stock and use if for all my shotgun work now days.  I also like the fact that it doesn't kick me to death with heavy 3" loads.

Me too on the over unders.  I one day want to set up a double trigger 20 with a close and far barrel.  But when I started running the numbers, I cooled my jets!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ElkTurkMan

Treid and true 870 special purpose Magin 12 GA. I purchases a twenty Turkey rig a couple of years ago for the lighter weight. But I went back to the 12 GA 870. I have taken a lot of birds with 12GA and hunted with with it so long its like an extension of me.  I just have more confidence in it and I like the pay load of the 12 guage.

Twowithone

Winchester 1300 for over 20 yrs now its a great shotgun. Got a Simmons Pro Diamond sitting on top for 15+ yrs it still holds POA/POI cant complain. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Coroner01

I just switched to a semi auto Charles Daly.  I have been tried and true to my Remington 870, but really like the semi auto.  AL

KyScott

870 Super Mag Max Gobbler here. I've thought about getting a new SBII or SBIII several times but I've killed so many birds with my 870. It absolutely slams them with Hevi 7s. Other than just wanting another gun I can't justify spending the money. I have several autos already just none I want to beat up turkey hunting.

Ontario_caller

I have killed birds with several 870,s an 11-87 , single shot 20 gauge, 870 20 ga. Etc.
I would confidently hunt any of these guns on any given day. They all kill birds fine but do have one flaw, the ultra close shot.
This will be my second season now shooting a browning cynergy o/u .
I'm running a pure gold .670 in the long barrel and a pg .720 in the short barrel.
I have an aimpoint H1 micro sitting on top. The gun shoots both barrels to point of aim at there intended ranges.
I built this gun solely wanting the short and close range option, over the last 25 years of Turkey hunting I have never missed a bird that was 20 yards or further , those are the easy ones.
I have missed several birds at very close ranges over the years and with the advanced choke and load combos of today it only made perfect sense to me to have the best of both options. The O/U gives you this. Last season I killed both my birds inside 20 yards with the .720 choked short barrel shooting 2-3/4 inch load of lead 6s.
Its unlikely that I will find a better set up than this. My other turkey guns will see little use until my sons are old enough to tote them
There He IS !