OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choice of shotgun

Started by shaman, January 08, 2018, 01:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 09, 2018, 03:46:17 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2018, 09:48:29 AM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 09, 2018, 09:40:51 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 07, 2018, 10:28:37 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 03, 2018, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 27, 2018, 02:38:52 PM
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.
Very true
But new guns and gadgets is like toys for big boys!
Just can't get enough.
Like looking through the Christmas catalog of years ago Sears,Pennys and Wards !
Very true can never have enough guns

Don't understand the logic. Over the years I have acquired my share of guns. However, I only use three, sometimes, four if I'm out west. The rest just roost in the safe year after year. Now my "old" guns shoot extremely well and my marksmanship is much better with a gun I have been shooting a decade or more. But each to his own; everyone spends his/her money differently. LOL
All I can say if you don't understand I can't explain
I'll try it. Sometimes it's not about the gun in question. It's about the investment. They hold value. More so if bought in good used condition at the right price. Always looked at certain guns as an item I could flip later to make my money if things got tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now an investment I can understand. A good logical reason to buy. However, I get the impression that many folks on here are, as stated above, just buying toys. Gotta have that new model car every year or cell phone or shotgun or rifle. That's what I can't see the logic in. Now having said that I (on reflection) feel that it is just a difference in priorities. I have accumulated a few firearms over the years but found that I couldn't shoot any better with the the new shotgun or rifle then  with the old. My personal skills were not good enough to make a difference. So I stopped buying guns and focused on insuring my rifles were shooting sub MOA and my shotguns patterned well. Then I started practicing my shooting skills. I am shooting thousands of rounds a year with my old guns, I have only burned the barrel out in one rifle as most of my practice is with a 22 rifle. I use low brass with my shotguns and time my self with both. So in conclusion I again say its probably just a difference in priorities. I appreciate the replies and wish everyone a good season. Heading to Florida next week.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Bowguy

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 09, 2018, 09:58:39 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 09, 2018, 03:46:17 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2018, 09:48:29 AM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 09, 2018, 09:40:51 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 07, 2018, 10:28:37 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 03, 2018, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 27, 2018, 02:38:52 PM
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.
Very true
But new guns and gadgets is like toys for big boys!
Just can't get enough.
Like looking through the Christmas catalog of years ago Sears,Pennys and Wards !
Very true can never have enough guns

Don't understand the logic. Over the years I have acquired my share of guns. However, I only use three, sometimes, four if I'm out west. The rest just roost in the safe year after year. Now my "old" guns shoot extremely well and my marksmanship is much better with a gun I have been shooting a decade or more. But each to his own; everyone spends his/her money differently. LOL
All I can say if you don't understand I can't explain
I'll try it. Sometimes it's not about the gun in question. It's about the investment. They hold value. More so if bought in good used condition at the right price. Always looked at certain guns as an item I could flip later to make my money if things got tight.

Now an investment I can understand. A good logical reason to buy. However, I get the impression that many folks on here are, as stated above, just buying toys. Gotta have that new model car every year or cell phone or shotgun or rifle. That's what I can't see the logic in. Now having said that I (on reflection) feel that it is just a difference in priorities. I have accumulated a few firearms over the years but found that I couldn't shoot any better with the the new shotgun or rifle then  with the old. My personal skills were not good enough to make a difference. So I stopped buying guns and focused on insuring my rifles were shooting sub MOA and my shotguns patterned well. Then I started practicing my shooting skills. I am shooting thousands of rounds a year with my old guns, I have only burned the barrel out in one rifle as most of my practice is with a 22 rifle. I use low brass with my shotguns and time my self with both. So in conclusion I again say its probably just a difference in priorities. I appreciate the replies and wish everyone a good season. Heading to Florida next week.
Like I said if you don't understand I can't explain it but I'll try just a bit. You're right in everything you said. Heck you can get one 12 ga pump for cheap and do it all fine. I'm not like that. I like guns. One day I'm using a .300 mag to hunt deer, next day a .243, the day after a model 94 30-30. Maybe a few days later a muzzleloader, than a slug gun, maybe a buckshot gun. Did the week end yet cause maybe I wanna use a flintlock, than my bow, go shoot squirrels w a .22. Than chase coyote w a 22-250. Man forgot about upland game. Almost def a .28 ga o/u. Which one, I'll let you pick. Now tonight I'm chasing waterfowl, it's real gritty in there I'm taking a pump, maybe an auto?
Tomo is nice I'm shooting sporting clays, maybe skeet. Dif guns for me.
Oh yea this is a turkey forum. Only about 6 I think right now dedicated turkey guns. Good thing 10-20 ga is all that's legal where I hunt cause I'd have more. Did I tell ya I mentor lots of kids and they need guns that fit?? Guns to train on? .22, .223,  .243,.270, that kinda thing. Build a tolerance slowly for recoil. Myself I get a kick out of African calibers. Is there anyone that doesn't?? You need a few of those. Yea so Africa isn't next door but the range is.
You get the idea. If I could swim through guns to my truck on the way to work I'd still need more. One gun'll do it but to me that's boring and I ain't gun poor thank God. No one said a thing about the newest garbage they sell now. I never understood how someone can manage w. 3 guns but guys do. Guys I hunt w do. To me it's just crazy. It's what makes the world go around brother. We're all different.
Did I forget handguns???

wvmntnhick

I'd like to say I'm not opposed to the one gun approach. Most of what I've got rarely sees any action. Gimme a solid 270 or 308 and my deer hunting needs are met. Where I differ, personally, is going west. Headed there for the first time this year. While the 270 is plenty, and I truly thought about taking it, I had blown the money on a build to get the job done slightly better IMO. Used it for deer this year to get used to it. Shot one with it and put it away. Again built for elk is too much for our eastern whitetails. As for turkeys, I've stated before that I use a rifle often enough because it's legal here and I like using them over a shotgun. But, I've leaned on the shotgun more in recent years than ever before. Mostly for giggles than anything but it's never mattered to me. Beware of the man that owns but one gun for he knows how to use it. I know a fella that's used one deer rifle almost exclusively for years and I'll simply say, standing or running full tilt, I'd not want to be the intended target. The shots may not all land in the boiler room and I've seen many deer with missing limbs once the volley ended but more often than not, 80% of the fires rounds found there way into that moving target. A feat I personally can't do when they get moving after the first round.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 09, 2018, 10:36:18 PM
I'd like to say I'm not opposed to the one gun approach. Most of what I've got rarely sees any action. Gimme a solid 270 or 308 and my deer hunting needs are met. Where I differ, personally, is going west. Headed there for the first time this year. While the 270 is plenty, and I truly thought about taking it, I had blown the money on a build to get the job done slightly better IMO. Used it for deer this year to get used to it. Shot one with it and put it away. Again built for elk is too much for our eastern whitetails. As for turkeys, I've stated before that I use a rifle often enough because it's legal here and I like using them over a shotgun. But, I've leaned on the shotgun more in recent years than ever before. Mostly for giggles than anything but it's never mattered to me. Beware of the man that owns but one gun for he knows how to use it. I know a fella that's used one deer rifle almost exclusively for years and I'll simply say, standing or running full tilt, I'd not want to be the intended target. The shots may not all land in the boiler room and I've seen many deer with missing limbs once the volley ended but more often than not, 80% of the fires rounds found there way into that moving target. A feat I personally can't do when they get moving after the first round.

I agree that hunters that utilize one gun are most often very accurate. I shoot running game frequently. I have never shot off a limb but have heard of it happening. I do frequently hunt out west and mostly use a 30-06. When going after elk I do use a 300 Rem Ultra mag unless hunting timber. Shot a 7mm Sako Finnbear for thirty years before it started showing throat erosion. I do like hunting Turkeys with a shotgun: a Browning BPS 12 gauge. I have been using it since the 80's. Currently looking to finish up my slam next week in Florida. As for shooting Turkeys with a rifle I don't normally do it but if the season is in and all I have with me is a rifle that Turkeys going in the back of the truck. I like eating Turkey. As I stated before everyone has their own priorities. 

Bowguy

I agree but you see how quick you went from one gun to a few or more. I didn't say guys that shoot only one gun are accurate at all. I said it's possible to do. It's all about the guy. Someone who likes guns and shooting be it one or a bunch is gonna be better than a one gun full of dust in a closet corner guy.
I would recommend as a season closed becoming even more famaliar as you alluded to.
More famaliar is so relative. If a guy shoots a 400-500  rounds a week say with a couple guns he'd have to shoot a bunch more to become more famaliar than the neighbor who shot two boxes last summer.
It's all relative and I'd say to anyone don't buy into any stereotypes. One gun does not make us better unless we shoot more w one gun. That's not normally the case around these parts.
I agree to most of what you said but priority it is to you and that may be why the difference. To me it's passion. Different point of view. Either way works. Best of luck on the slam

wvmntnhick

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 10, 2018, 01:06:50 PM

I agree that hunters that utilize one gun are most often very accurate. I shoot running game frequently. I have never shot off a limb but have heard of it happening. I do frequently hunt out west and mostly use a 30-06. When going after elk I do use a 300 Rem Ultra mag unless hunting timber. Shot a 7mm Sako Finnbear for thirty years before it started showing throat erosion. I do like hunting Turkeys with a shotgun: a Browning BPS 12 gauge. I have been using it since the 80's. Currently looking to finish up my slam next week in Florida. As for shooting Turkeys with a rifle I don't normally do it but if the season is in and all I have with me is a rifle that Turkeys going in the back of the truck. I like eating Turkey. As I stated before everyone has their own priorities.
If you used the same 7mm for 30 years before it started showing throat erosion, that's impressive. Any idea what the round count was? Most will start well before then. Generally not enough for the typical hunter/shooter to recognize a negligible difference in accuracy. The big 7's, 25-06, Weatherby cartridges that are overbore tend to see throat erosion fairly easily. 6mm's are bad about it too. Buddy of mine had a barrel on a 243 that showed horrible throat erosion in less than 300 rounds. Bad blank I'm guessing.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 10, 2018, 01:52:03 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 10, 2018, 01:06:50 PM

If you used the same 7mm for 30 years before it started showing throat erosion, that's impressive. Any idea what the round count was? Most will start well before then. Generally not enough for the typical hunter/shooter to recognize a negligible difference in accuracy. The big 7's, 25-06, Weatherby cartridges that are overbore tend to see throat erosion fairly easily. 6mm's are bad about it too. Buddy of mine had a barrel on a 243 that showed horrible throat erosion in less than 300 rounds. Bad blank I'm guessing.

Gunsmith told me there was throat erosion. I also noticed when I tried to get the COL that I could not get a reading that seemed reasonable. This is a Sako Finn Bear I used mainly for deer hunting. It has a heavey barrel. I don't have a clue how many rounds I fired through it but it was a lot. As the gun smith said there was erosion I stopped using it. It was always sub MOA and still is. I will only use it on special hunts. You are right about the 6 mm. I burned one up when I was young. Traded it in for my current Turkry gun - many years ago.

wvmntnhick

Right on. I used a 7mm for a while. Liked it well enough. Just realized I didn't need that much horsepower for deer. Had several that covered more distance than I'd have liked as well. Bullet selection was the issue though, not the cartridge. The 7's have a place in my heart that isn't easily filled. Built my STW for my upcoming elk hunt. Hart barrel on a 700 action in a B&C stock wearing a Leupold Vari X III Long Range 6.5-20x42 with a 30mm tube. Might be off a touch on the scope specs but fairly certain it's right. Need to work up a load with a heavier bullet for the larger ungulates I believe. Not real sure I trust the 139 grain interbond for that job entirely.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 10, 2018, 07:00:15 PM
Right on. I used a 7mm for a while. Liked it well enough. Just realized I didn't need that much horsepower for deer. Had several that covered more distance than I'd have liked as well. Bullet selection was the issue though, not the cartridge. The 7's have a place in my heart that isn't easily filled. Built my STW for my upcoming elk hunt. Hart barrel on a 700 action in a B&C stock wearing a Leupold Vari X III Long Range 6.5-20x42 with a 30mm tube. Might be off a touch on the scope specs but fairly certain it's right. Need to work up a load with a heavier bullet for the larger ungulates I believe. Not real sure I trust the 139 grain interbond for that job entirely.

I do like the 700 action, bell and Carson stock and Leopold scope. I've heard only good things about the Hart barrel. I really like a 30 mm tube. Sounds like you have an awesome combo. Good luck on you elk hunt. It would be great to see some pictures. Plus anywhere elk reside is beautiful country.

wvmntnhick

I gotta remember to take the camera. Typically forget that stuff. It's been a while since I've been this excited about going hunting. I mean, turkeys pull me every time but this is the first I've ever been out west for anything and the first time I'll have a chance to lay eyes on wild elk. I'm excited.

kdfester

I have a single, pumps and autos. Recently been carrying a H&R single due to the best rifle style sights on it. They are a chunky style non fiber optic that just plain work for me.  It is light and simple.  I like the reliability of my 870 but does not shoot poa/poi.  In the process of adding a ff3 to it since I haven't tried the optic route yet.

tha bugman

I have had more pump turkey guns than I have automatic. 

Happy

I am a pump fellow myself. Simple and reliable. Nothing wrong with any of them though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jims

I've used my old reliable 870 Rem pump with no problem for years!  I do a lot of running and gunning.  The only thing that would likely get me interested in buying a 2nd shotgun would be if there was one available that was a chunk lighter and less bulky for running and gunning all day long!  Using top end ammunition and knowing the lethal range of your particular shotgun is just as important as the shotgun itself!

potter

I like my 10 gauge armi san marco over under, its smaller than my 10g bps and lighter, I dont know why but I love to carry it, it seems to fit me just right.