OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choice of shotgun  (Read 23679 times)

Offline wade

Re: Choice of shotgun
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 06:20:14 AM »
I use a Beretta A400 Xtreme for doves and ducks and a Winchester Super X Model 1 for sporting clays. For turkeys I use a Mossberg 935 turkey. I love the short barrel. I have tried several after market choke tubes but none so far have been better than the extra full tube that came with the gun. I killed my first turkey with a Mossberg 500 I'd had for years.
Do it outdoors

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.

That's kinda been my conclusion as well.  Turkey hunting has always seemed like a sport that begs for a cheap, dedicated gun that you can drag through the briars and not care. 

I started this thread to see if there were any ideas for gun that would be a change of pace.  I've realized my rat-bag 500 is probably as good as it gets. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
.410 ,7.5 Remington factory load , tru glo rifle sight. Waiting on factory TSS. Make 'er a 30 yrd. gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »
Pump for years.  Semi 20 3 years ago-first semi in any gauge I have ever owned. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Ringbill

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
It is either my Benelli Supernova, Browning BPS, or Winchester SXP. Pump action reliability.

Offline LRD

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
I have always shot a pump and hard to beat the reliability of the 870.  I have a 12 gauge 870 and a 20 gauge 870.  Improvement in shells will have me probably toting the 20 all year.  I love the lightweight, compact model while running and gunning in the hills and hollows.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
I started with and killed my first gobbler using an Ithaca model 37R featherweight chambered for 2.75 shells only.  I hunted with a Stevens single shot 3" 12 gauge with a fixed modified choke for 12-13 years. Every turkey I dropped the hammer on with that gun came home with me.  I only failed to use both tags in one of those years with it.  I got a deal on a SBE and never missed with that gun either.  I got a SBE II and missed the first gobbler I shot at with it because POI was higher than point of aim. I added a Burris Speed Bead red dot and haven't missed since.

My patterns have improved with each gun (so has ammo technology).  Every gobbler I've killed has been inside of 40 yards, as I tend to hunt woods and not many agricultural fields.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »
I just have my Remington 11-87 I never cared for pumps even when I played paintball every weekend I disliked pumps. It has 2 barrels 1 for sabot slugs and 1 for shot shells and I like how I can use it for so many different things. It was my deer gun right up until a few years ago when NY opened hunting with rifle in the Southern Zone and now I just use it for turkey or if I happen to go shoot some trap or sporting clay's with friends which I have not done in many a moon. I would like to try a muzzle loader for turkey though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TKE921

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
Semi auto.  They seem to fit me better than a o/u and I use a Primos Trigger Stick when turkey hunting so I like being able to shoot more than once without having to lift the gun off the rest to work the action.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
I normally hunt with an 870 Super Mag but this year I plan on hunting with something special.  My Grandfather's 10 gauge double barrel.  Dad hunted with it when he was young.  I bought some low pressure shells so ill limit my range.
Dad is as excited as I am.  Ill take one and put it away.

Now that's legacy!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline AC 870

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »
870 20-gauge.
Stevens 20-gauge single shot.
Past guns in 12-gauge included 11-87, 870 Super Mag, Mossberg 835. The Super Mag was the “killingest” gun I owned but I’m fixing to let this 870 20 eat.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.
Very true
But new guns and gadgets is like toys for big boys!
Just can't get enough.
Like looking through the Christmas catalog of years ago Sears,Pennys and Wards !
Very true can never have enough guns

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
Very true
Just can't get enough.
Like looking through the Christmas catalog of years ago Sears,Pennys and Wards !

Don't understand the logic. Over the years I have acquired my share of guns. However, I only use three, sometimes, four if I'm out west. The rest just roost in the safe year after year. Now my "old" guns shoot extremely well and my marksmanship is much better with a gun I have been shooting a decade or more. But each to his own; everyone spends his/her money differently. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
Very true
Just can't get enough.

Don't understand the logic. Over the years I have acquired my share of guns. However, I only use three, sometimes, four if I'm out west. The rest just roost in the safe year after year. Now my "old" guns shoot extremely well and my marksmanship is much better with a gun I have been shooting a decade or more. But each to his own; everyone spends his/her money differently. LOL
All I can say if you don’t understand I can’t explain

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
Very true
Just can't get enough.

All I can say if you don’t understand I can’t explain
I’ll try it. Sometimes it’s not about the gun in question. It’s about the investment. They hold value. More so if bought in good used condition at the right price. Always looked at certain guns as an item I could flip later to make my money if things got tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk