OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choice of shotgun  (Read 23680 times)

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Choice of shotgun
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Encore 12 ga with the now discontinued Trijicon Tri-Power sight.  Carries well.  Might carry a 11-87 20 ga youth model this year.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
Not real particular honestly. Gonna try a single this year tho and see what happens. More curious than anything I guess. Most birds I’ve killed with a shotgun have been with pumps. Have used a couple autos. Would like to get a decent SxS at some point but not happening any time soon. This year I wanna try the single I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
99% of my turkeys have been killed with the same 870 SuperMag. For several years I have had the thought to get a H&R 12 ga and make a pretty single shot just for turkeys but I have not done it yet.
Gary Bartlow

Offline 2dogs1name

Choice of shotgun
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
It seems pretty clear from these posts that just about anything on the rack will kill a turkey. Makes me wonder why everyone is so determined to spend tons of money on the latest and greatest gadgets to kill a turkey.

This reply nails it...if your barrel is straight and you don’t flinch on the trigger pull, you will kill it at 40yrds or less...it’s a single shot so make it count...regardless of the shotgun.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:01:45 AM by 2dogs1name »

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
Remington .410....wanting a more challenging experience at times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

This reply nails it...if your barrel is straight and you don’t flinch on the trigger pull, you will kill it at 40yrds or less...it’s a single shot so make it count...regardless of the shotgun.
Very true indeed I have been hunting the last few years with a 400$ Cz semi auto and it does just fine . Then the other day I held a TC Encore turkey gun and now I really want one of those and it probably won’t kill a turkey any better than the CZ but it is nice carrying a gun you love the looks and feel of and that is how people justify the extra cost. I will probably keep hunting with the CZ and try to forget about the TC.

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »
I have been using my stoger 12 ga.auto or a Winchester 1300 20 ga but I have a mossburg pump 20 ga, that my dad bought me when I was 12 ,got a rifled slug barrel on it with a scope. Think I might put the 26” smooth bore back on it and see how it patterns at 30 yd. also my son in law has a Winchester model 9410 lever action 410 shotgun, I may see what kind of pattern I can get from it, it’s no bigger than a model 94  30/30 rifle.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »
I use a semi-auto for a good portion of my hunting...  Especially with duck hunting and high volume, high recoiling loads, my primary reason is for recoil reduction...  The third shot is nice, but not all that important.

For dove, pigeons, and clays I use an O/U...  It swings better and shoots better for me, and I like not having to search all over heck and back to pick up my empties...  I used to use an O/U for duck hunting, but with the high-speed steel shot and increasing flinching problems, I went to a semi-auto.

For quail, I generally use a semi-auto 20 ga....  Working my but off, and finally having birds hold and jump up in singles or pairs, I can fire and reload that gun almost as I am shooting it.  I have done some damage on large covies in rock piles (i.e. covies of 100+ birds).  However, there are ranches in which were I to leave a single empty casing, I would not be invited back, and I go to the O/U simply to be 100% certain of recovering my empties (and doing it quickly).

For turkey hunting, I use my waterfowl semi-auto...  I am used to shooting it, and have a variety of chokes.  It is lighter weight than the O/U's and easier to carry with the sling...

Were I only turkey hunting, I would strongly consider a good pump (such as a Wingmaster 870).  Reliable gun, easy to clean, and 3 shots (which I have yet to use while turkey hunting).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
Benelli m2 20ga or Benelli sbe 2 12 ga. Love semi autos
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
Very true
But new guns and gadgets is like toys for big boys!
Just can't get enough.
Like looking through the Christmas catalog of years ago Sears,Pennys and Wards !

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:30 PM »
I normally hunt with an 870 Super Mag but this year I plan on hunting with something special.  My Grandfather's 10 gauge double barrel.  Dad hunted with it when he was young.  I bought some low pressure shells so ill limit my range.
Dad is as excited as I am.  Ill take one and put it away.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
I normally hunt with an 870 Super Mag but this year I plan on hunting with something special.  My Grandfather's 10 gauge double barrel.  Dad hunted with it when he was young.  I bought some low pressure shells so ill limit my range.
Dad is as excited as I am.  Ill take one and put it away.

Now that's about 10 kinds of cool !

Offline wislnwings

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
I've hunted with autos and pumps in 12, 20, and 10 mostly.  This year I'm going to take my old Ithaca SxS or my grandfathers Stevens 520 pump.  One of these days Im going to build myself a flintlock fowler to turkey hunt with.  As others have said, anything in the safe can kill them, so I base my choice on what I feel drawn to that season.

Offline Stumpy225

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
SxS 20g and 870 20g this year.