OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choice of shotgun  (Read 23687 times)

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
Choice of shotgun
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
I'm not particularly interested in exactly what model you all are carrying or what choke.  I'm sure we'll have threads like that from now until June. I also don't want to make this a pump vs. semi-auto thing. I'm more worried about the oddballs.

I'm just wondering how many of y'all are using:

SXS?
Over/Under?
Single shot?
Bolt?
Muzzleloader?

If you would, please share your reasons for picking that platform in a turkey gun, and give details on your experiences.   I'm now 21 years shooting with the same Mossy 500, and I'm wondering if I should mix it up a bit with something more exotic.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Choice of shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
870! I like the reliability of a pump.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
870 with H.S. Strut Undertaker
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline chase-ark

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
My go to gun is an older Mossberg 500 turkey special 12 ga pump with ported barrel and factory xtra full choke. Dad let me “borrow” it a few years ago and it’s been in my possession ever since!  ;D

My other gun i carry from time to time is your basic Mossberg 20 ga pump field shotgun with a 26” barrel. It’s busted a lot of critters since i got it as a little kid and still looks brand new!

Anyway all I’ve ever owned is a pump action with bead sights! I guess i like both just out of familiarity, simplicity, and reliability. I’ve shot semi’s that have jammed and don’t think i can ever remember a pump messing up that wasn’t operator error.
Woo Pig!!!!

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
Started with a H&R 12 single factory dipped in original Bottomland, chambered for 3.5" Shot the 3.5" exactly four times and sold it. Never occurred to me to try the 3" all those years ago.

Carried a 1300, sold that for a new Mossberg 500 (which never shot straight), then back to a synthetic 1300.

Now I shoot the exact same factory dipped Mossy Oak single shot I started with 20+ years ago. Found one online couple years ago, and hit the buy now.

Reason? I wanted more than one shot. Got the pump. Then I wanted camo. Got the Mossberg. Then I wanted something that shot straight, got the new 1300. Now all I want is something super lightweight and shoots lights out.

The pump stays at camp the single goes with me. If I could change anything about this journey, I would have ended up with a single in 20 gauge shooting Federal or TSS.

My  :z-twocents:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
Got several shotguns. Mostly auto's but for turkeys I use a Browning BPS. Why, it always goes off, saftey is on the tang and I have been shooting it since the early 80's and have reblued it twice: last time in a matt finish. Also like the bottom ejection as I don't like to leave empties behind. I use a kicks choke and shoot LB 4, 5 and 6's with open sights. The new after market type.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:56:32 AM »
12 ga. hammer model Stevens I've been shooting at stuff with since 1957.  Nice and light. Don't know how old it is.  I'd guess it was 20-30 years old when I got it. It knows how to kill turkeys.

Offline jims

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:04:29 PM »
My Rem 870 pump hand-me-down from my dad has harvested a gob of toms over the years.  I use full choke with 3".  I've only missed around 3 toms over all these years..the toms I missed were my fault of either shooting to far or in a panic mode.  The important part is knowing the pattern of your loads and how far it is capable of shooting a good pattern..and don't shoot past that distance!

Offline SFCSNOW

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »
I'm going with a 20 ga O/U this season.  It's really light weight, pleasure to shoot and carry and flat out prints killer patterns at 40 yards.  Plus it's just something different.  I don't at all think I'm giving up anything as far as performance. 

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
The only thing I haven't taken a gobbler with is a muzzle loading shotgun.   Yet...  I've taken birds with single shot shotguns (pistol and long guns), o/u's, sxs's, pumps, autos, bows, xbows, handguns,  even spring air pellet rifles.  Just haven't had the opportunity to take one with a front stuffer. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
I'm not particularly interested in exactly what model you all are carrying or what choke.  I'm sure we'll have threads like that from now until June. I also don't want to make this a pump vs. semi-auto thing. I'm more worried about the oddballs.

I'm just wondering how many of y'all are using:

SXS?
Over/Under?
Single shot?
Bolt?
Muzzleloader?

If you would, please share your reasons for picking that platform in a turkey gun, and give details on your experiences.   I'm now 21 years shooting with the same Mossy 500, and I'm wondering if I should mix it up a bit with something more exotic.
I bought an old Ithaca lever action single shot off a guy and am going to camo it . it is their version of the old Long Tom they call them with 36 inch barrel . it's chambered for 2 3/4  or 3 inch shells .  gotta tame recoil  before shooting 3 Inch shells.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Over the Summer, I bought a Stevens single-shot 12 gauge. It was cheap and it is very light.  I will take that out this Spring some. I also have an OLD - Sears 16 gauge- bolt action . The barrel says Full. I might take that out this Spring at least once. I painted that green and the Stevens is all black. They are both very light and that is a good reason to take them out when I plan on walking the miles.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
The only thing I haven't taken a gobbler with is a muzzle loading shotgun.   Yet...  I've taken birds with single shot shotguns (pistol and long guns), o/u's, sxs's, pumps, autos, bows, xbows, handguns,  even spring air pellet rifles.  Just haven't had the opportunity to take one with a front stuffer.
I've shot one with my Encore. It's fun after the shot you don't know if you connected or not until the smoke clears..I also have the 12g. shotgun barrel for it that i use the majority of the time. I pick that gun over about a half dozen other turkey guns of mine. I topped it with a Nikon Turkey Pro 1x4 and have done a'lot of patterning. Knowing I only have one shot has made me a better shot.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »
Pumps of different companies. Mainly an 835 though.
I also like the reliability of a pump.
None of it really matters at your age. A little kid has pros cons. A semi I sometimes heavier but it self loads and kicks less. Pumps are normally lighter and kick harder. They're also reliable.
Single shots meaning shotgun or smoke pole have their place too but I'd not feel handicapped w any of em. It's all what you like

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 12:56:39 AM »
Pump man myself as I have a certain affection for a n 870.  Sounds crazy but if I were going a different route it would be a n over under.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.