turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is it that you want to see?

Started by Cove, January 08, 2018, 11:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I like a narration of the strategy and plan of attack.  What the bird is doing or has done to make you do whatever it is you had to do to get him killed.  Solid or sloppy video doesn't bother me, I just like it real.  But again, narration is the key for me, tell the story!!!  It is entertainment anyway.

the Ward

Swedish bikini team parachuting into field under cover of darkness. Tries to call in turkey at first light with squealing hen call. Fail. Then, switches tactics to stalking turkeys  using turkey fan reaping method. Some good old fashioned death metal for theme music with volume turned to 11. Team dispatch's a 6 lbs jake using tss fingernail extensions. Victory dance celebration culminating with spiking the jake nfl style. Air it on history channel for big ratings! Lol not really, but I'm willing to bet sometime, somewhere, an obscure hunting product maker probably thought about this as an idea for a commercial!

MK M GOBL

I can give you both sides "I want to see" and what "I don't want to see"

So most of these hunting shows any more I'm not even interested in... Arrogance and ignorance are way out of hand, when the kill becomes more important to where I see trespassing and game violation by these "hosts" I turn them off and will not buy their product.. For most of us I will never hunt the "Featured" ground they hunt where game populations are high and highly managed and the cost $$$ to hunt there that most of us do not have access to.

Hate that most shows are just a commercial for product (Just a GIANT money machine for these folks) and do not trust the host or the product they are pitching, they are being "sponsored" to sell those products. No one company is making the best of everything...

I hate to see bad shots and the fist pumping after them like they did good. I would rather have the hunter say how he did not make the best shot and how it went down after.

So what I would like to see:

Some truth in what we see, so many things are edited to make them look good for the show but it's not what happened...

Educational: THIS IS A BIG ONE What can I learn from what you are showing me, this is one of the most missed aspects of these shows. Showing a bunch of kill shots doesn't teach one anything. I want to know the why, how, where and what you are doing to improve your hunting tactics, tips and of course what didn't work.

I would like to see more "real hunts" that take place on public land or that knock on the door private land.

I do like seeing the different areas than what I hunt as I can learn what to look for if/when I would try hunting such an area. There are some styles of hunting I might not go for that others might (My personal choice), don't mind that you would have a show on them. (I would just not watch that show)

Now I don't mind you telling me I used a "product" because it works, if I can believe in what you are telling me I am more likely to look at said product before buying. I would guess most of us rely on getting recommendation from other hunters on the product, what we talk about on web-site like this or some online reviews and such.

My last piece with this is:
I do work for a Retail Outdoor Goods Store and I have no financial gain by selling any specific product, but If I sell you something I believe in, I have experience with and success with, that is what I recommend. Then my gain is that you come back to me if said product lives up to what I have stated about it to you and you again ask for my recommendation on another product.

MK M GOBL

the Ward

All joking aside, I would like to see some shows that could maybe focus on the old time ways of hunting. No camo, homemade calls, and old style guns. I think it would be pretty cool watching a hunt like it would have taken place in the early 20th century, be it for deer or turkeys.

drenalinld

Sometimes it is more about what I do not want to see. The staged recovery, filming action/aiming shots after the shot that are obviously not real time. I LOVE over the shoulder of shooter even without the best footage. I like a time log showing elapsed time when edit cuts are made. I understand the tendency to decoys for footage but I sure do like the woods hunts where call - gobble, call - gobble then the he's coming and at first opportunity smoke that joker. It hardly ever makes movie footage but I sure like it when they include really soft calling that finishes turkeys. Love to hear gobbling in response to the softest calling. Advertisements are a turn-off for me. I like it a little sloppy and unplanned.

guesswho

Quote from: the Ward on January 11, 2018, 04:26:48 AM
All joking aside, I would like to see some shows that could maybe focus on the old time ways of hunting. No camo, homemade calls, and old style guns. I think it would be pretty cool watching a hunt like it would have taken place in the early 20th century, be it for deer or turkeys.
Never really thought of that.  But I like that idea.   I'd watch. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cove

Quote from: drenalinld on January 11, 2018, 01:44:22 PM
I like it a little sloppy and unplanned.

Sloppy and unplanned I believe I can pull off.  :icon_thumright: 

My style is more old than new I would reason. I may or may not be wearing full camo sometimes, normally because functional, comfortable pants for hunting are a thing of the past it seems. I make all my mouth yelpers and I am partial to a wingbone yelper, although a friend made it. I'm not sure I can steer away from my "modern" firearm though. I like my Franchi.

Quote from: drenalinld on January 11, 2018, 01:44:22 PM
Sometimes it is more about what I do not want to see. The staged recovery, filming action/aiming shots after the shot that are obviously not real time.

I agree. One of my biggest peeves. How about when they walk up in front of the camera like it's not there and "strike" a turkey by inserting a gobble. Hate that.

And I wish I had the opportunities to hunt "featured" property! I agree, it's hard to relate to some of the turf you see the celebs hunting on. My jealousy is showing. . .  :help:

SteelerFan

Agree with most other opinions, that staged edits are unnecessary and phony.

Whacking birds over decoys in a field from a tent - they ALL look the same

Capturing a timber hunt, with a bird gobbling as he works his way up the ridge, with the hunter plopped against a tree... that would be cool (I'm biased).

gotcha

turkaholic

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 11, 2018, 06:20:26 PM
Agree with most other opinions, that staged edits are unnecessary and phony.

Whacking birds over decoys in a field from a tent - they ALL look the same

Capturing a timber hunt, with a bird gobbling as he works his way up the ridge, with the hunter plopped against a tree... that would be cool (I'm biased).
This! And if I never see another FOOL crawling thru a field to jap another noble bird, that would be just great!
live to hunt hunt to live

crow

Leatherwood Outdoors on youtube has some traditional flintlock deer hunts that are well filmed hunts done with a minimum of equipment.
There is one from this year deer hunting with an old Win. 1892 in .25-20 that is good

I haven't watched them all but the ones I've seen are 180 degrees from most all tv hunts.

the Ward

Quote from: crow on January 13, 2018, 11:20:19 AM

Leatherwood Outdoors on youtube has some traditional flintlock deer hunts that are well filmed hunts done with a minimum of equipment.
There is one from this year deer hunting with an old Win. 1892 in .25-20 that is good

I haven't watched them all but the ones I've seen are 180 degrees from most all tv hunts.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely check those out. Love flintlocks and vintage guns!

drenalinld

I really like it when microphones are staged away from hunter to better pick up natural sound as well as hear the calling. More work and editing for multiple audio channels but pays off like no other with drumming audio. Love to hear the chest thump of close gobbles. Easier recorded with remote mic if he comes toward the mic. Easier to get home close to mic with Dekes which I would rather not see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I can't watch turkey hunting if the caller is horrible, good calling and a hard gobbling birds engage me well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 13, 2018, 06:23:55 PM
I can't watch turkey hunting if the caller is horrible, good calling and a hard gobbling birds engage me well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Personally, I like the guys that are horrible callers,...gives me something I can relate to.   ;D
Really, horrible calling indicates two things to me:  1) turkeys will often come to anything that resembles another turkey if the conditions are right, and 2) sometimes all you need to be a good turkey hunter is to be hunting the right property. :toothy12: