turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli m2 Performance Shop Turkey Gun

Started by BottomLand54, January 07, 2018, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

Hey guys it's been a good while since I have been on here, Work has been crazy this past year! Anyways I am thinking of buying me a new 20 gauge auto for this years season. I already have a t/c encore pro hunter turkey 20 guage. And a weatherby Sa-459 extra green 12 guage, along with a 11-87 12 that are my turkey guns. I have seen the benelli m2 performance shop Turkey Gun's that Rob Roberts does for benelli. Does anyone have one? If so how good is it really? Is it worth the money?

Also what other 20 gauge autos would you recommend
I have considered:
Winchester sx3 Long beard
Weatherby SA-459 extra green(hate the trigger on my 12)
Franchi affinity 3

I was curious to the pros and cons other then
Price. I may end up shooting some the new tss stuff this coming year but still have some federal hw 7s

Thanks in advance,
I am Willing to hear good or bad and want your honest opinion!

dms2511

Like many of us, I have several turkey guns. One of which is a Benelli SBE II performance turkey gun. It shoots great, but really not anything special or exceptional that can't be achieved with a standard gun and experimentation with choke tubes and shot size. I would save the money and buy a Weatherby SA-459 in the 20 gauge  X-tra green turkey configuration, remove the trigger and send to Rob Roberts, and purchase a good choke tube. Plenty of good information on the forum to get you pointed in the right direction  with the Weatherby, but I don't think you would be disappointed. No doubt the Benelli performance guns are great guns, but my opinion nothing special for the money you spend to buy one.

fountain2

Not sure why you would want the benelli performance version, but the m2 20 is a very good gun and shoots well.  I have one and it was set up with a 555 Indian creek choke shooting tss 9s.  It shoots very well.  If it were my main gun, I would have it drilled and tapped for a ff3

wvnut3

Quote from: dms2511 on January 07, 2018, 10:00:36 AM
Like many of us, I have several turkey guns. One of which is a Benelli SBE II performance turkey gun. It shoots great, but really not anything special or exceptional that can't be achieved with a standard gun and experimentation with choke tubes and shot size. I would save the money and buy a Weatherby SA-459 in the 20 gauge  X-tra green turkey configuration, remove the trigger and send to Rob Roberts, and purchase a good choke tube. Plenty of good information on the forum to get you pointed in the right direction  with the Weatherby, but I don't think you would be disappointed. No doubt the Benelli performance guns are great guns, but my opinion nothing special for the money you spend to buy one.
X1 :icon_thumright: Lee

wvnut3

When i sent my Sa-459 trigger assembley to Rob it was back in 12 days with a crisp 3.5lb pull. Lee

BottomLand54

So the benelli m2 does not already come drilled and tapped like the sbeii and sbeiii does? I have thought about ordering a Weatherby SA-459 20 guage I have it's big brother and the trigger is terrible on it I need to check into the rob Roberts thing. How much did it cost to have it fixed?

wvnut3

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 07, 2018, 04:36:55 PM
So the benelli m2 does not already come drilled and tapped like the sbeii and sbeiii does? I have thought about ordering a Weatherby SA-459 20 guage I have it's big brother and the trigger is terrible on it I need to check into the rob Roberts thing. How much did it cost to have it fixed?
I believe it was $115 plus shipping to Rob. It was well worth it. Lee

SumToy

You can make any gun shoot.  Find the choke that it likes and go have fun.   In the 12ga we was over 300 with every 3.5 inch gun that came in with the HV13 7s.

Now the 20ga is little different.  I think with some loads you get them all to work about the same.   I like the Federal and it was temperamental to the bore and back pressure so you see little difference.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

WV Ridge Reaper

Coming from someone who owns a Benelli and has sent one Benelli to RR

Buy a Franchi and stay alway from that snake oil RR sells.

Just my experience 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Buy the weatherby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kwild835

I have a M2 20, it is a great, light turkey gun.  I think it is waaaay over priced and I love mine.  I got it used from local gunstore, if I was buying new,  I would agree with last two posters and get the affinity or weatherby. Save the cash for calls or ammo.   

BottomLand54

Guys I cannot find anyone who had the Weatherby SA-459 turkey 20 guage. I am not paying 700.00 for it as I only payed 615.00 for my 12 gauge new. Also compared to the affinity I handled my sa-459 12 feels like a piece of Chinese junk lol and I own it. I may order me a franchi affinity 3 20 gauge 26" Barrel mossy oak bottomland, throw me a Mount, a good choke, and a scope or red dot on it. I read where the new affinity 3 was tapped and drilled, is this so?

Anybody have any advice on what Mount to use?
Who likes a scope better the A red dot or vice versa?
What choke is working good out of the affinity 20 gauge?

Thanks for all of your help.

BottomLand54

I also have found a Winchester SX3 universal hunter 20 guage that says it's drilled and tapped with a 26" Barrel I have read allot of good things on the Winchester guns throwing very good patterns with there backboted barrels.

kwild835

The SX3 is an awesome gun, but be careful with Winchester/Bronwing drilled and tapped guns.  They have three holes drilled that have hardly any base options.  If I wanted some type of sight on my turkey gun I would have it drilled and tapped for a marlin 336 base.
Also posted in your other thread in 20 gauge section.

PALongspur

Quote from: kwild835 on January 09, 2018, 09:24:01 AM
The SX3 is an awesome gun, but be careful with Winchester/Bronwing drilled and tapped guns.  They have three holes drilled that have hardly any base options.  If I wanted some type of sight on my turkey gun I would have it drilled and tapped for a marlin 336 base.
Also posted in your other thread in 20 gauge section.

X2

Not sure why they restrict potential buyers with the lack of scope base options.