OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal's new Grand Slam ammo  (Read 4711 times)

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Federal's new Grand Slam ammo
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
With all the news about Federal loading factory tss shells, I saw that they were also introducing new Grand Slams. They have a new Grand slam 10 gauge load that sounds pretty good. The old pre flite control lead shells shot pretty good and I'm wondering with the new flex wad if these may even shoot a bit better? I'm going to get some to pattern when I run across them locally. Wish Winchester would have made Longbeards in the 10, that would have been an amazing shell!

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
Re: Federal's new Grand Slam ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
I sent Winchester an email about making them LB's in 10 gauge and they sent back saying there wasn't enough demand for them to do that.  So its like well how you make 5,000 boxes send them out and see if they all sell.  Bet they would lol

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »
They would sell probably every box they made. The 10 gauge hevi-shot magblends, and the heavyweight federals pattern very well, but are pretty pricey compared to 12 gauge offerings of the same shell. I want to find one shell and choke combo I really like and then stock up on ammo. I have a couple combo's I like now, but they are all with discontinued shells. I have enough to last quite awhile though as it's mainly used for my fall season hunting.

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
I put a trulock .695 in my browning BPS 10 and shoot fed hvwt federals in it and shoot buchsot through it..It don't come out that gun it patterns great and I have some grand slams on the way.  Rogerssportinggoods.com carries 10 gauge hvwt federals and a while back they had buy one get one free on them and the lot number was the same..I assume he has a good supply on them might check it out

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the ammo, I will check them out. I have quite a mishmash of 10 gauge turkey loads, a couple boxes of this, couple boxes of that, all mostly discontinued stuff picked up at small local gunshows. I kinda want to just zero in on one common and available shell and choke combo instead of trying to remember what I was shooting with what lol! Probably going to burn thru what I have first though, if I can stop buying up the old stuff!

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
I wish they would at least load it in 2-1/4 or 2-3/8oz.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:45 AM »
I wish they would at least load it in 2-1/4 or 2-3/8oz.
x2. I sure would like them load the !0 gauge to it's full potential, not stuff it with 12 gauge payloads!