OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: VA Public Land in Dickenson Co???  (Read 1162 times)

Offline jonhaga

VA Public Land in Dickenson Co???
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:14 PM »
Anyone familiar with this place?

Offline VA_Birdhunter

• Longbeard
Re: VA Public Land in Dickenson Co???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »
Hello jonhaga....I was born and raised in Dickenson county.  Lived there up until about 6 yrs ago.  Still have a lot of family there so does my wife.  I’m from the clintwood end she’s from the haysi end.  We travel back a lot to see family and the in laws.  I still hunt dickenson co every spring....normally come in for a week and come back several times after.  I’ve killes and chased many long beards there. The terrain is no joke...steep and hard to hunt but it’s a part of me and a tradition  that I just can’t let go.  There is a lot of public land in dickenson co....federal forestry land and arm corps land.  I hunt mostly private but have done well at times on public land there.If ur looking for locations of it or any other general info let me know and I’ll do what I can to help.

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Offline jonhaga

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
VA Birdhunter I sent a PM buddy

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »
Funny to hear about Haysi and Clintwood on here all we need is a Ervington native and have county covered. I was born raised in Haysi still with lot family there and surrounding area. like said there is public land its not highest quality and terrain is rough don't overlook a Pal's permit some strip area around I don't hunt the public have access to thousands acres private. You could look into club they lease lot mining co land and most have cheap dues compared to say farm country leases/clubs

Offline jonhaga

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
Turkey foot I sent a PM

Offline VA_Birdhunter

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
Funny to hear about Haysi and Clintwood on here all we need is a Ervington native and have county covered. I was born raised in Haysi still with lot family there and surrounding area. like said there is public land its not highest quality and terrain is rough don't overlook a Pal's permit some strip area around I don't hunt the public have access to thousands acres private. You could look into club they lease lot mining co land and most have cheap dues compared to say farm country leases/clubs

Ervington and trammel....nothing much left there now.  Dickenson County is dying off.  The war on coals has just about done it in.   But I still love visiting there but never see myself moving back!

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
I've been there before. Dear lord there's not a flat piece of ground anywhere except reclaim strip jobs... I think folks there are part mountain goat. And I say that with nothing but respect.

Offline jonhaga

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
Ttt