OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Product Test Results Federal Heavyweight TSS Shotshells  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: Product Test Results Federal Heavyweight TSS Shotshells
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:57:35 PM »
Be interesting to see how much testing people put into these shells. They are a bit cheaper than Nitro and Apex but with those two you know more of what your getting with certain chokes. 280 at 40 does not impress me, assuming that was a 12g. Would like to know the 20” numbers as well though.

Offline petemoss83

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 11:38:05 PM »
So I'm a little confused... as others may be also.   For 20 gauge, will there be two #7 tss loads? One at 1200 fps and one at 1000 fps.  Or one #7 load at 1200 and one #9 load at 1000 fps. Or one #7 @ 1200 fps and two separate #9 loads at 1200 and 1000 fps ?

Offline petemoss83

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »
I've seen on the calling all turkeys website that there will be a #9 tss load at 1000 fps for the 20 but also seen on other websites that instead it will be two #7 tss loads. Just wondering which is correct.  I'd like to see the 9's since the heavyweights are going away.   

Dgroves

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 11:37:49 AM »
Thanks Clark great read!

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »

Am I the only one disappointed that they have dropped the HW7's, glad I have a few boxes of the 20's left. After I use them up, I guess I'll try the new offerings.

X2

NO, I am very disappointed also, seems like every time we figure out a particular shell,wad,shot,...etc,etc they either change it, discontinue it or something. time to start reloading and be done with it

Offline BDeal

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Are the HW 7's already discontinued? That really sucks as I put a lot of time and some money into finding the right choke and shell for my sons 870 youth 20 ga.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »
Every thing that has been read or said is yes they are already discontinued.

Offline wvnut3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 05:54:00 PM »
Are the HW 7's already discontinued? That really sucks as I put a lot of time and some money into finding the right choke and shell for my sons 870 youth 20 ga.
Yes , but stock up while you can still get some.They are still out there.Lee

Offline BDeal

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
Just bought 6 more boxes of the 3 inch 20 gauge heavyweights. That will give us a couple years and at that point he will probably be ready for a 12 gauge.

Can anyone comment on what a #7 and #9 TSS pellet compares to in terms of lead shot?

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
Are they 9's only? Here in Missouri we are limited to no smaller than 7's. Thx! :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Are they 9's only? Here in Missouri we are limited to no smaller than 7's. Thx! :camohat:
Here you go https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/federal-premium-revamps-turkey-shotshell-lineup-with-three-new-product-families
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »
Thanks Clark but I'm gonna stick with Win LB's. Stocked up and have killer set ups to 40yds and a bit beyond. I am not paying 5 bucks a round! I figure 2-3 rounds per choke tube to pattern and I've been known to pattern 6-8 tubes per gun, and that my friend, turns into a lot of money! In all the time I've been chasing Roosters around in the Spring time woods here in Missouri I've only had one shot a bit past 40yds and that was at a bearded hen. Most birds get in a lot closer than that, so much so that I darn near blow their heads off... :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
could be wrong but Missouri has a regulation of no larger than 4 shot size .Nothing on the smaller such as 9 shot . Per 2018 regulations just read.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks Clark but I'm gonna stick with Win LB's. Stocked up and have killer set ups to 40yds and a bit beyond. I am not paying 5 bucks a round! I figure 2-3 rounds per choke tube to pattern and I've been known to pattern 6-8 tubes per gun, and that my friend, turns into a lot of money! In all the time I've been chasing Roosters around in the Spring time woods here in Missouri I've only had one shot a bit past 40yds and that was at a bearded hen. Most birds get in a lot closer than that, so much so that I darn near blow their heads off... :camohat:
You're welcome and I really understand that "patterning thing"     .
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
Here's a link to the "Product Test" article on 2 of the new shells from Federal. https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/federal-heavyweight-tss

The are very interesting shells. I hope you find some information that will be helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
Clack have you been able to test any of the 20ga loads?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>