OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot Call Suggestions  (Read 10270 times)

Offline pauld

Re: Pot Call Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »
Anodized does tend to squeak and be fickle. I prefer to sand a spot off as well and also use a little box call chalk on it will help with that too. I've run some good copper but I don't like the thinness of it, .06 and on a large surface like 3.5" it tends to flex when being played. Slate is always a great stand by and wood choice and variety of slate will really be flexible with a customer on whether they want a softer playing call or something that is higher pitched. Glass is always a GREAT option. Crystal tends to be inconsistent from piece to piece the last few years. I'm a huge fan of ceramic and have been working with it for years. It is totally impervious to weather conditions and has the ability to really reach out to a bird or to be work soft. It's a different animal but is very consistent.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »
Buy that Copper over Glass from Mike Yingling and it'll become one of your favorites. Mike's copper sounds extremely good while also sounding unlike anything I've heard from the other call makers. A good thing imo.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
Buy that Copper over Glass from Mike Yingling and it'll become one of your favorites. Mike's copper sounds extremely good while also sounding unlike anything I've heard from the other call makers. A good thing imo.
I concur.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
If you hunt anywhere with a lot of humidity then stick with the crystal/glass.  In my experience the metallics are to picky.  When they are on they are some of the best sounding calls, but when I am sitting by a tree full of adrenaline and may be worked up from hurrying the last think I want to be messing with is a picky call that may sound like crap at that moment.  Good luck in your search.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Best thing to do is got to Nashville or Georgia next week and play them from call makers, everyone plays calls different and gets different sounds.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »
If you hunt anywhere with a lot of humidity then stick with the crystal/glass.  In my experience the metallics are to picky.  When they are on they are some of the best sounding calls, but when I am sitting by a tree full of adrenaline and may be worked up from hurrying the last think I want to be messing with is a picky call that may sound like crap at that moment.  Good luck in your search.

This is exactly what happens two me , in the first few hours of show time , in the mourning hours ......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline GAarcher

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
Do yourself a favor and try any of Pistol Creek's calls. They are in league of their own in my personal opinion. They will be in Nashville so go by and give and try em a try.

Offline Matt k

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
Darrin Dawkins

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
Dawkins stoned aluminum in the plastic pot with dymondwood striker. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Swab21

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Thanks  for the Input everyone, I purchased several calls from the suggestions. You guys cost me a lot of money this month in calls.   :you_rock:

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
Thanks  for the Input everyone, I purchased several calls from the suggestions. You guys cost me a lot of money this month in calls.   :you_rock:
well you have to tell us what all you got!! Old Gobbler has costed me a bunch of money to, but I have really enjoyed trying a lot of different calls and chatting with the makers. there are a bunch of great people and call makers on here enjoy your new calls

Offline Swab21

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Once they all come in I will post them on here.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
Pot calls are an addiction to me. I've explored box calls, scratch box and mouth calls. I just love pot calls and now make them as well. There's just something I enjoy about the pot calls and the variety of sounds you can get from one based on surface, soundboard, and wood. Then strikers etc. It's an addiction

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline pauld

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »

You’re right. Ceramic is another great choice in humid areas, as it’s all but impervious to moisture. Slate is definitely a not go on wet mornings. For metal surfaces, it gets tricky when wet for sure. Try some rain chalk on your striker and it will help but glass, crystal, ceramic are a truly better answer.

Offline Turkz39

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
You need to get a TJ Johnson pot call!  They are sweet!!