OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stoeger m3500 vs mossberg 935 vs other? Barrel length?

Started by Bigeclipse, December 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

I'm looking for a new Turkey gun but don't have crazy funds. I would like the gun to be semi-auto, 3.5inch capable, and drilled/tapped for a red dot. Currently looking at the stoeger m3500 and the mossberg 935. I do not kill birds out to 50yards (I like calling them in to at least 40 yards) but last year I shot at a bird that I swore was 40 yards but turned out to be 48 yards. It was an open field situation and I must have ranged in front of the bird with my range finder. Luckily I got the bird so for this reason I would prefer a gun that could be capable out to 50 yards just Incase I made a stupid mistake like this. Thoughts? Also what barrel lengths do you all like? This gun will pretty much only be used for Turkey.

SumToy

Both are good guns.  Now the 935 is heavy (like carrying a 4x4).  The 3500 will be a better all around gun because is will work with 2 3/4 all the way to 3 1/2.  The 935 sometimes will not work well with the junk dove loads if you wanted to. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bigeclipse on December 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
I'm looking for a new Turkey gun but don't have crazy funds. I would like the gun to be semi-auto, 3.5inch capable, and drilled/tapped for a red dot. Currently looking at the stoeger m3500 and the mossberg 935. I do not kill birds out to 50yards (I like calling them in to at least 40 yards) but last year I shot at a bird that I swore was 40 yards but turned out to be 48 yards. It was an open field situation and I must have ranged in front of the bird with my range finder. Luckily I got the bird so for this reason I would prefer a gun that could be capable out to 50 yards just Incase I made a stupid mistake like this. Thoughts? Also what barrel lengths do you all like? This gun will pretty much only be used for Turkey.
Why not build you a 20 ga. from a Rem. 870 Youth 21 inch barrel...with the right shell it will shoot better than the 12 ga with any shell...and a lot easier to carry...

dirt road ninja

I bought an 935 with a 26 inch tube, if I was doing it again I'd go with a 22 or 24 inch barrel. It's a turkey only gun and I don't regret the gun only the barrel length. It does well with just about all the smaller shot 2.25 oz Turkey loads and an IC 675.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 31, 2017, 06:08:58 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on December 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
Why not build you a 20 ga. from a Rem. 870 Youth 21 inch barrel...with the right shell it will shoot better than the 12 ga with any shell...and a lot easier to carry...

Are you saying you get more dense patterns with a 20gauge Vs a 12? That just doesn't sound right.

dirt road ninja

A tuned up 20 gauge can be very effective at the ranges you stated with factory ammo. A 20 gauge with handloads will beat most 12's with factory ammo. I hand load for both and I can honestly say the 12 doesn't have that much of an advantage (with hand loaded TSS). With a 2.25 ounce hand load in the 12 and 1 5/8 ounce load in the 20 and the difference is 5 yards. My 12 keeps 100 in the 10" circle only 5 yards past where the 20 does.

If your not rolling TSS, I'd go the 12 route.