turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A little advice needed

Started by FuzzyBadger, December 31, 2017, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzyBadger

Hi folks. Just joined this forum a few days ago and have been enjoying reading through the posts. But, after reading just about everything I could find, I'm still unsure which way I should go.
I'm just getting into hunting small game and turkey and need to buy a shotgun.  I know I want a 20ga.
Currently, I have a T/C Encore Pro Hunter and have considered buying a turkey barrel for it. But, for about the same money, I could also do a 870 youth build or get a SA-20.
Any advice as to which way I should go would be very much appreciated.
Btw, great forum!

FL-Boss

SA-20 is a really nice gun. I have one and liked it.  If your new gun is only going to be used to hunt only Turkey - look at the Weatherby SA-459 as well. 

SumToy

:welcomeOG:

I would look at the Weatherby, Moss 500 or the Remington 870.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Fullfan

I have a Weatherby in 20ga, with one of Williams ( Mr. SumToy) chokes it does very well the Federal Heviewight 7s and the TSS 9's.
Don't gobble at me...

jordanz7935

I love my encore but the turkey barrels are just too much $$$, IMO. My vote is for the 870. But the SA-20 and weatherby autos are very popular also. Im just not a fan of the turkish made semi-autos. The 870 youth 20 ga is an awesome turkey gun, mine will be going on its 15th spring season and hasn't skipped a beat. That said i wouldn't rule out the 26" barreled 870 20 ga, especially if its your first shotgun. 26" would be more versatile for skeet, small game and waterfowl IMO.

FuzzyBadger

Well...
Thanks for the input fellas.
I made an executive decision and pulled the trigger on a 870 compact in full camo. A bit more $$$ than the blued version, but shouldn't have to be concerned with rust. Wally World had both.
Let the fun begin!