OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many are switching to TSS ?  (Read 43527 times)

Offline old3toe

Re: How many are switching to TSS ?
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »
 I do understand what you guys are saying and sadly I hear plenty of talk about such shots more often than not when around other hunters and especially on the net. I didn't want to get into all that. I've always been the one in the group that got scalded for holding off on a shot because I thought it was best or there was to much greenery or brush in they way, or it just didn't seem right as in birds to close together, or I thought it was to far even if it wasn't. I do carry a rangefinder and if at all possible get my ranges down when I'm hunting open ground. Its not always possible but most times it is. I'm just hoping things don't go the ways of gasoline, tobacco products, and taxes. Once these manufacturers get the price point set (driven up) and are all on the same level, I believe its safe to say even the cheaper loads will show a substantial increase as well. That won't be good.

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »
What chokes are yall using with the HW federals for 20 ga? Recently bought a new 20 ga and will be using it as a daily driver.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
What chokes are yall using with the HW federals for 20 ga? Recently bought a new 20 ga and will be using it as a daily driver.
Pure gold.555 I believe. It does well enough to 40 that the birds not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »
Sumtoy 5625
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
Sumtoy 5625
William makes some excellent chokes. Have one for my 835 and it’s amazing. Actually performs better than the choke in my gun currently but was testing to see the effects of tss on a “lead-only” choke tube. Probably switching it back this spring.

BottomLand54

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
Carlson .575 or a sumtoy as mentioned above either or depending on gun

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »
Benelli M2

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
Sumtoy 5625

Bingo  I use one of Williams in my 20ga it shoots the Federal Heviweights #7 shot and TSS #9 both very well.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »
I've got enough heavy #7s for my 20 to last probably five more years.  And until Longbeards stop killing birds I see no need in changing.  I might pick up a box just to see what all the fuss is about, but don't see myself switching.  My problem has always been woods turkeys getting too close so im not worried about extending my range. 

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
I think the 20 gauge loadings will sell pretty well, and should be around long term, but I'm thinking the 12 gauge loads will be discontinued after a few years. Those will have an up hill battle on cost vs performance against the already established Winchester longbeards for the average/casual turkey hunters. I have a decent stash of htl for my 12 gauges and not going to switch. when I run out of those I will probably go back to lead, but that will be years down the road and who knows what ammo company's will be offering by then!

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
What the ammunition companies offer by then ?
Guys I hope for the sport that this is enough!
But obviously it won't be that .

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
What the ammunition companies offer by then ?
Guys I hope for the sport that this is enough!
But obviously it won't be that .
  The ammo companies will have depleted uranium fletchette loads by then. But the E.P.A will require the use of bio-degradable pellets made from bubblegum starting in California in 2020.Nationwide by 2024. The Government will require them to be only fired from a spring loaded air shotgun. For the children. And the environment. Lol!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
In the not so distant future it will be common practice to shoot them off the roost and over corn piles and chufa plots. tss will be too expensive and rifles will be the weapon of choice.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
In the not so distant future it will be common practice to shoot them off the roost and over corn piles and chufa plots. tss will be too expensive and rifles will be the weapon of choice.

Rifles are illegal in 90% of the country

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
So were crossbows. Without permits anyways

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club