OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Ga. Longbeards

Started by HILBY72, January 09, 2018, 07:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HILBY72

Looking for some advice, I would like to carry the 20 for turkeys this spring.  I have a youth model 870 with a 21 inch barrel and it has a .575 Carlson Non Ported turkey choke. I want to shoot Winchester Long beards out of the gun but not sure if I would like to try 5 or 6 shot, I also have a few Hevi 7s to try. Any advice welcomed...Thanks

Buford

The only way to know is to try what you already have, that is carlson .575 and number 5 or 6 longbeards. It's going to depend on what kind of pattern you want and how far you want to shoot. I have 11-87 20 gauge with 21 inch barrel and the same choke you have. It's pattern is to open for me with longbeards number 5 shot at 40 yards. So I have the tru-lock heavy 7 choke which measures .560 diameter which puts 125 shot in a ten inch circle at 40 with longbeard number 5 shot. I just would like to try carlson"s .568 longbeard choke or something like a .555 choke. Don't really know until you try something new. Also don't want a pattern to tight for a very close shot. Hope you find the right set up your happy with and kill a begun this year!!!        Buford

Greg Massey

I like a Trulock 565 for my Remington 870 , 21 inch barrel...i shoot Federal Hw 7....the 565 will give you a great pattern with a little wiggle room up close...what your looking for in a choke and shell is one that fills a pattern or 10 inch circle ...from 20 -40 yards...

turkeyinstrut

If you want to get the most out of your 20 ga. shoot TSS 9's which should pattern great out of that .575 choke.

tree-rat sniper

Bought some to try in the Franchi but it will have to warm up a bit before I try to pattern.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

kyhareraiser

Quote from: HILBY72 on January 09, 2018, 07:56:36 AM
Looking for some advice, I would like to carry the 20 for turkeys this spring.  I have a youth model 870 with a 21 inch barrel and it has a .575 Carlson Non Ported turkey choke. I want to shoot Winchester Long beards out of the gun but not sure if I would like to try 5 or 6 shot, I also have a few Hevi 7s to try. Any advice welcomed...Thanks
I've not been able to find longbeard 20 ga shells yet but I do use 12 he longbeard . in my 20 ga I use  Hevi-shot  magnum blend

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

HILBY72

Cabelas and Macks both have Longbeards in 20 gauge, with a $3 rebate also per box