turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What causes a dud ???

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, February 02, 2018, 08:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

Why can you make an identical call, cut from the same wood, exact in every way, and one sounds awesome and the other is a dud?  Every single thing is the same.  Why do duds happen? 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Jeffwhitecustomcalls

This is a good question if you figure it out let me know.

BottomLand54

Lol custom calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmclain

The wood cupped.  Or the shelf the slate/glass stems on is not level. Adhesive failure.  Take the call apart use mineral spirits to clean adhesive up.  Then lay a piece of glass on the shelf and check to meme sure it's level.  You can also measure with dial calipers the end grain then the face grain direction yo determine if it cupped.   If you did not double turn the pot chances are it cupped.    I find that wood will cup at least .05 after coring out the pot.  Some woods more. 

mmclain

I posted a short video on FB on how to check for and eliminate cupping

southern_leo

If all your measurements are identical and no warping occurred I'd bet you have an adhesive issue somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

any surface besides slate i say its the  glue. One of the first things i do when i get pot that just dont run right is tear apart and re glue ( thats if every thing else is right )  me i dont use big tubes glue any longer i think they can and do go bad ,,, and try my hardest to put same amount glue on each surface 1/4 twist same weights nothing small heavy in center 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Double B

You've heard of the Island of Misfits, if its a bad call...... they send them to a special town named after them, Deadwood.   :funnyturkey:

Followed by buzzards

mspaci

Matt, how about a link, would like to see this, Thanks,  Mike