OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Over/Under Turkey Gun: CZ Canvasback  (Read 2619 times)

Offline AC 870

Over/Under Turkey Gun: CZ Canvasback
« on: December 20, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
I’m going to try to get my CZ Canvasback 12-ga O/U to shoot turkey loads. It’s Benelli threads. I got a few questions about O/U turkey guns though.
1. Do you want your Top Barrel to be your main Barrel with tightest choke and slightly looser bottom barrel choke for back up?
2. How are y’all mounting slings? Don’t mind drilling hole in butt stock for swivel stud. Upper stud more problematic.
3. Is anyone turkey hunting with a gun like this?
4. Any Benelli turkey choke recommendations? Remember I like cheap.
5. If I put an extended choke in Top Barrel, is it okay to fire from a flush mount in bottom?
This is a sweet little Gun. My limited testing indicates barrels have pretty much same POI but shoot just a hair low of POA.
I also ordered some of the 12 to 20 ga adapters. Anyone got experience with those? They just came in tonight. Hadn’t shot em yet.

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Over/Under Turkey Gun: CZ Canvasback
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
I shoot a Beretta 686 UL 12 ga O/U, will answer your questions, and hope they are helpful for your situation.
1) No, I want the tight barrel on bottom and the more open barrel on top. I shoot a heavier load (1.625 oz TSS 8.5x9s) from tight choke, and 1.25 oz TSS 8.5x9s from the more open choke. My gun's POI is much closer between the two barrels so loaded. In most cases, the POI of your top barrel will be higher than that of the lower barrel, and that tendency is exacerbated with a heavy load in the upper barrel. The reason is that the upper barrel is higher above the bore axis of the gun, causing the gun to rotate about the bore axis upon recoil, throwing the pattern higher. Felt recoil is also lower from the lower barrel for the same reason, so that's where I want my heaviest load.
2) Can't remember the brand name, but I have a sling that has nylon webbing that fits around the butt stock with the other end threaded under the rib between two posts on the barrel.
3) Yes
4) What are you shooting? Shooting TSS, I shoot an extended Sumtoy .675 in the tight barrel and a flush Lt Mod in the upper barrel.
5) Yes, but as posted earlier, I would put the extended on bottom.

I have an FF III on mine on a B-Square cantilever rib mount. The red dot is regulated to throw the lower barrel a couple of inches low and the upper barrel a couple of inches high at 40 yds. I aim for the head with the lower barrel and for the waddles with the upper barrel. Perhaps you will get lucky and your POI will be identical for both barrels. Hope that helps a little.

Offline potter

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
I have an armi san marco ou 10gauge . Barrels are indexed to same point of impact at about 40 yds. I always used top barrel first.i have a ring that mounts around most of the bottom barrel for sling, pics in 10 gauge form.

Offline AC 870

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
Thanks guys!