OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Nebraksa 3 Generations  (Read 4398 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Nebraksa 3 Generations
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
Been working non stop since turkey season ended but here is the story of our hunt.

Was looking forward to this hunt for a year after my 12yr old daughter got her first bird last year in Oklahoma. She told me she wanted to do what I did and try to get birds in other states so I was more than happy to oblige.  I told her as soon as she got out of school I would take her and my dad on a trip,  were headed  to Nebraska first. We stopped in south Nebraska to hunt some land Reid and myself had found last year. First morning we found ourselves skirting a big field and a deep creek. The sun was starting to brighten the surroundings and we needed to get set up so for the first time in a long long time I set out some decoys, one DSD jake and an Avain X hen. Well as we got back to the tree we wanted to set up against and as Georgia starts to sit down I look in the morning haze and tell her to grab her gun and just shoot him. It was a huge Nebraska gobbler with a rope running swinging from wing to wing closing the distance. At 14yds she rolled him as my dad any myself stood beside her. It was awesome.  We high-fived and she slipped out to get her bird. We said a prayer and tried to get two other gobblers to play but they didn’t want any part of it.   

We headed to north western Nebraska to try for her Merriam. We found some birds right at dark and came up with a plan for the morning. Never would I, or could I have dreamed of what the next morning was to hold for us.   
We got set up well before the sun thought about breaking the horizon in the area we had seen the birds the afternoon. Our set up was a huge cedar tree at the base of an oak tree.  It was so thick that we couldn’t get against the base of the tree so I cut a hole out and wedged myself as far under it as I could get and Georgia sat with her back against my legs. My dad sat next to her.  Neither of them had ever hunted for Merriam’s and I was hoping it would work out.  As day broke we could hear birds in the distance but nothing close to us so we waited and after about 15 minutes a bird half gobbles and yelps right above us. Then it happened birds went nuts all on top of us we were literally sitting in their bedroom.  No one said a thing but just sat still and quiet. I had my decoys out again at about 15yds. A gobbler and two hens pitch out and said about 75yds away and hit the ground looking back at the decoys  then it sounded like a duck flush. There were birds pitching out all over us and two gobblers cupped up like a pair of mallards and almost landed on the decoys, it was unreal. Georgia ever so slowly raised her gun as the two gobblers strutted and pushed on the jake decoy. When she got her gun raised I told her to take her time and she rolled the bird on the right and my dad rolled the bird on the left just after she shot.  We were all so happy and I started cutting hoping to get the other gobbler to come closer when another bird gobbled up the ridge we were on, so I laid into him with my calls. In less than 2 minutes he was looking at my dad’s dead bird when I hit him with the Lil 20ga.  3 generations of hunters and 3 birds down in the mountains of NW Nebraska. I wish I had videoed it but ill remember that hunt forever.

We had a couple more days before she had to be home so I said let’s try Kansas. So we loaded up after taking some pics and headed South.
We found some public land that had birds on it and scouted\hunted the first day. The second day we got on a lot of jakes that would run the gobblers off which worked to my favor.  5 jakes ran this bird into an alfalfa field and he just stood out there. We watched him and I told my dad and Georgia to make a stalk on him with the layout of the land. They got within 70yds of him and he saw something he didn’t like, he came my way and as I was making a move on him to cut him off he decided to make a change in directions back to where I had been sitting.  I crawled and made a move but dint see him and I figured he had squatted down in the alfalfa. I pulled out a fan I had in vest and crawled up to the field edge. I looked and looked but couldn’t find him, finally I see a dot in the grass and I figure that’s him. I start cutting at him and he finally stood up and I rolled him. It wasn’t the hunt I had envisioned but it was fun none the less. The Lil 20ga is a mean little sucker.

That afternoon Georgia asked if she could pick a spot and scout some, heck yeah you can! She saw some birds and showed me on the map where she wanted to set up the next morning. My dad went to another sop and we set up where she wanted to.  After seeing some birds she calls and they head our way. I told her to keep calling and to be ready. Then one bird breaks away and here he comes, it was the 5 jakes that ran by gobbler the morning before. She lets them get to 20yds and rolls one.      It was her setup her calling and her bird 100%  It was so awesome seeing her hunt and get it done by herself. She was so happy and shaking so bad.

We met up at the truck and was getting ready to leave when she sees a bird waaaayyyy out in the cut corn field and tells my dad he should go try that one.  He was right at 1/3mile away so my dad grabbed my lil 20ga and made a big loop on him and actually got to the edge of the field without him spooking. We watched through binoculars and waited for what seemed like forever then we see the bird start flopping then about 3-4seconds later we hear a faint boom. Now that was pretty dang cool. We don’t get to stalk or bushwhack birds much nor is our preferred method but in some cases it sure can be productive.
My dad has killed a truck load of birds with a 20ga but he hasn't shot one in a long time, He was beyond impressed with my lil 20ga and I was amazed at the shot he had made. 

Can’t ever thank the Good Lord enough for all he does and provides for us, but ill sure try.
We packed up and headed home with a cooler full of meat and feathers. She asked me if she would ever get to try Florida, It’s her Christmas present this year. We're headed to Florida in March to hopefully finish her grand slam, fingers crossed.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
Re: Nebraksa 3 Generations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a heck of a trip!!! One you will surely remember for the rest of your lives. Nebraska late season is incredible hunting, and it's crazy how much thicker the woods are in KS opposed to NE at the exact same time.

A Florida bird is something I still need myself, so I'm sure you guys are stoked about the trip to come!

Good luck, and congratulations!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
That is awesome for sure! Congratulations on a one heck of a trip! Love the pictures and recap, thanks for sharing.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
Awesome! No better time then doing what you love to do,and then doing it with someone you love!! Great read and I am sure a great time for all of you! I've been going down to Neb. for the last 2 years now with my son and grandson. I personally have yet to pull the trigger on a bird, but have called in 2 for my grandson and 1 last year for my son.  I am just as satisfied with them getting a tom as If I had shot those toms myself!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:59:52 AM »
Awesome! No better time then doing what you love to do,and then doing it with someone you love!! Great read and I am sure a great time for all of you! I've been going down to Neb. for the last 2 years now with my son and grandson. I personally have yet to pull the trigger on a bird, but have called in 2 for my grandson and 1 last year for my son.  I am just as satisfied with them getting a tom as If I had shot those toms myself!

Thanks  The whole trip was for my daughter and dad. I didn't carry a gun on the first hunt just calls and decoys. Wasn't planning on taking one in NW NE but after we roosted the birds I decided if I could get them their birds I'd have try. Never could I have imagined we would have three birds down within 15yds of us. 
Lol The first morning in KS we had 14 jakes flog my decoy and I asked Georgia if she wanted to shoot one and double with me on them but she was shaking so bad and breathing so hard she couldn't hear me and thought I asked her if she wanted to shoot a jake at which time she declined.   After it was over she looks at me and says  Dang we could have doubled, I laughed and said well that's kinda why I asked you. She said she never heard that part. Unfortunately she gets the shakes and breathing from me. LOL its why I do it. She hasn't started getting the back spasms or the dry heaves yet thank goodness.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
What a fantastic experience for all 3 of you! It sounds like you have a serious hunting partner in your daughter. Love photos of dead feathered victims of the 20 gauge. 12 and 10 gauge guns have no real advantage over the lethal put down power of the 20's. Glad to see yours roared!

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.