OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for a ceramic  (Read 8422 times)

Offline pauld

Re: Looking for a ceramic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 07:14:40 AM »
Thanks got the mentions guys. I will say this about the desired sound mentioned in the original post. A well tuned ceramic will scream. They are and should be higher than you will get out of glass or slate. If you're wanting something more mellow I would recommend a slate playing surface. As always I will be more than happy to build one but it's not going to be a more mellow tone like you're looking for, to be fair and honest. My Ceramics are the hottest call that I make and want to be forthright on the sound to expect, they are high and have a nasal tone to them, the rollover is quick and there is good rasp on the back on the note.

Thanks,
Paul D.

Offline dixiemagnum80

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
How much do the Anderson Daybreak Paduak ceramics sell for,,if anybody has ordered one recently
107$ just got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep....just got mine a couple weeks ago. They are amazing!

Offline Forked lighting

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
How much do the Anderson Daybreak Paduak ceramics sell for,,if anybody has ordered one recently
107$ just got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep....just got mine a couple weeks ago. They are amazing!
Don't be in hurry I got one a couple weeks ago been waiting guite a while nice call

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Haven't heard one yet but I see that Kimmie Hanks now has a Ceramic out. He makes some fine calls so I'm bettin it'll be a good one.

Found this on YouTube, what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mOJ2KA4LEE

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Thanks got the mentions guys. I will say this about the desired sound mentioned in the original post. A well tuned ceramic will scream. They are and should be higher than you will get out of glass or slate. If you're wanting something more mellow I would recommend a slate playing surface. As always I will be more than happy to build one but it's not going to be a more mellow tone like you're looking for, to be fair and honest. My Ceramics are the hottest call that I make and want to be forthright on the sound to expect, they are high and have a nasal tone to them, the rollover is quick and there is good rasp on the back on the note.

Thanks,
Paul D.
I agree 100%. If you want mellow then slate is where you need to look. I like ceramic and slate, but keep in mind you buy the surface for the sound you want. Playing mellow is slates category.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
I just watched the Hanks video great sounding call, I have two of their calls and both are always in my vest, I can't believe more people on here don't talk about Hanks calls, Awesome callers!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
And man would I love to fish that pond I that video!

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
I just watched the Hanks video great sounding call, I have two of their calls and both are always in my vest, I can't believe more people on here don't talk about Hanks calls, Awesome callers!
I don't own one but would love to one day. His calls don't get enough recognition. Does he go to NWTF convention?

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 09:34:25 PM »
I don't own one but would love to one day. His calls don't get enough recognition. Does he go to NWTF convention?

Yes.... Hanks has won the D.D. Adams callmaker award 2 years in a row.  He makes a fantastic pot call.  I have his Padauk Aluminum and his Zebrawood Glass over Aluminum and both are awesome pot calls.

Im going to be getting his ceramic very soon. 

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
Just found floor plan for the convention. It's showing hanks in booth 1025 for everyone's reference. I'll make sure I stop by this one.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »
870 those are the two that stay in my vest, great calls!

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
Just ordered Hanks Padauk/Ceramic... AND the Osage Glass Over Aluminum.  Anxious to try them out first hand.  Want to get my hands on Halloran's Ceramic and try that one too. 

There always will be a spot in my vest for my curly maple/ceramic from Andy Kaiser, but ceramic is the only surface I do not have multiples of.

Online PEte_A

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Just ordered Hanks Padauk/Ceramic... AND the Osage Glass Over Aluminum.  Anxious to try them out first hand.  Want to get my hands on Halloran's Ceramic and try that one too. 

There always will be a spot in my vest for my curly maple/ceramic from Andy Kaiser, but ceramic is the only surface I do not have multiples of.

Can you provide us with a review or sound file when you get it?

Thx
Pete

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »

Can you provide us with a review or sound file when you get it?

can do

Thx
Pete

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »
The Hanks Ceramic came.  The call I received sounds just like the one being played in the youtube video.  I would describe the yelp as having a medium front that finishes RASPY.  Very easy call to play.  To my ear, it sounded best with dymondwood, bloodwood, and Ipe strikers.  I will hang onto it, being it has the medium front and a raspy back.  My Kaiser Maple Ceramic has a higher front, with not quite as much rasp.  If you don't have a ceramic in your arsenal and like rasp, you will probably be more than happy with it.  If you have a ceramic already that you are really into, and are thinking about picking one of these up.  I would be a little reserved in your expectations with it, if you are hoping it it will replace what you currently have. Its a solid call and I am sure they will sell a ton of them though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:31:12 PM by vt35mag »