OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Frank Discussion on Fall Hunting  (Read 2289 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Frank Discussion on Fall Hunting
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
I know there are quite a few folks here that are passionate fall turkey hunters.  We have had discussions in the past about the validity of fall hunting, and more specifically, about shooting hens in the fall.  My personal opinion is that in most instances, fall hunting is biologically sound and as long as reasonable constraints are placed on limits and such, there is no reason to be concerned.

Having said that, I have also seen instances where I questioned the impact of fall hunting, especially for hens, in areas with "marginal" turkey populations.  I suspect others on here have felt the same way at times.  It's difficult to draw the line on when and where to have fall seasons and where not to, and I would not want to be the one to make such determinations. 

One thing I would recommend, however, is that if you fall hunt in areas with relatively few turkeys,...and specifically hunt flocks of hens and their young-of-the-year,...do not make a habit of shooting the brood hens in those flocks.  Brood hens in marginal populations are a valuable commodity.  They have demonstrated the ability to pull off a clutch of poults under adverse conditions.  That could be because they were just lucky, or it could be because they have learned to choose nesting and predator-avoidance tactics that make them successful mothers.  Not only that, but fall poults are still relatively young and are probably still relying on the brood hens in terms of learning how to stay alive when pretty much everything in the woods is trying to have them for dinner. 

Most of us have the tendency to pick out the "biggest" when hunting.  With fall hen/poult broods, that is probably not the best thing to do.  Learn to shoot one of the little guys rather than the brood hens.  In the long run, it is most likely the best thing to do.

End of todays sermon.... ;) ;D

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Frank Discussion on Fall Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Great post...I love to fall hunt also and use to only target Gobblers when i had more time to hunt. With less time now and liking to use hen wingbones for calls ill shoot anything legal i call in,but I DONT target the brood hens know matter how low or high I think the population is due to them proving they have reproduced and if nothing happens to them in my opinion have a better chance of doing it all over again compared to a first time hen...

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
Glad, I scrolled down and saw this post. I agree with the Author. My Fall Season here in New York has been slashed from 6 weeks down to 2 weeks and the take from 2 turkeys to just 1. Where I live in Orange County- The wild turkey population is very strong and not alot of Fall turkey hunters. Western New York had a big decline however. A number of those Countys though out near the Great Lakes and the PA border had Fall harvests that GREATLY exceeded the Spring take. This went on for years and probably led to the decline in hearing gobblers in the Spring. That is just my opinion.  It has been 2 years now since the Season was changed. I have not taken a Fall bird in  the last 2 years as I hunt public land. In years past- It would take me up to 3 weeks or so to finally locate a flock.

Offline Swenny

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
Interesting post.  It's not my intention to be a troll etc., but I also kind of question the wisdom of fall hunting.  I understand that if it's legal who am I to judge a fellow hunter, but I worry about the health of animal populations.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
I can only speak for the Midwest states I hunt. Approximately 10% of the population gets taken in the Fall. Not much of a factor overall. Quality habitat has more to do with healthy,thriving turkey populations than Fall hunting. IL only takes approx. 1000 birds total in Fall, gun and archery. We have a 9 day gun season in Fall and 3.5 months of archery. MO took 5200 approx. gun and archery combined. MO Fall gun season is the month of October and archery is 3.5 months. KS changed from a 4 bird limit to 1 bird a few years ago ,in areas I hunt and NE is still 4 birds. If you Fall hunt with gun and bow  in MO and IL they too have 4 bird limits. Again very low success due to low interest.     In the 80's and 90's populations were still being trapped and transported to new areas in the Midwest and birds were everywhere. Nature ran its course and predator populations exploded and turkeys were a favorite on the menu. On pubic land I hunt in the Fall in IL about 13 birds get shot every Fall vs 60 in the Spring. This area is great turkey habitat.  Burns,upland forest,CRP,crops etc. equal quality populations and hunting opportunity. I shoot whatever I call in. Habitat is the key.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
In states that I hunt the turkey populations are down.  In some cases by 30% or more.   I really question why harvesting hens in the fall is still allowed in states that have documented declines in population.   I don’t care how insignificant the fall harvest is...it’s still a hen that could reproduce next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
I've never been a fall turkey hunter so I've never considered it, but I really enjoyed learning about the idea of not shooting the brood hen. Makes perfect sense and I would adopt the way of thinking if I started fall turkey hunting. I won't though. I get excited in an equal yet, different way when I hear them coming through the fall wood's and I wouldn't change for anything

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
I have hunted Fall turkeys and really liked it but as I matured it didn't seem to be as much of a challenge. So I usually pass on the fall birds, especially a nice gobbler. Its just too much fun to hunt them in the Spring and anything that may impact Spring hunting I shy away from. In fact I am an avid coyote hunter due to their impact on the turkey population.

But I do respect the biologists in the game department. They have done an excellent job of managing the birds here and there are a lot of birds to hunt in the Spring or fall if you are so inclined.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
About 12-15 years ago, we (NC) had an experimental "Fall" turkey season in 5 counties that bordered Virginia. The season actually took place in January, so there wasn't much cover in the woods. My lease was in Granville County, where it was legal and I gave it a go.  Hens were legal, but it would cost you one of your two annual turkey tags.  I had hens and jakes in range, but I just couldn't make myself drop the hammer. 

One, because I enjoy hunting Spring Longbeards too much and couldn't bear the idea of spending a tag on a bird that weighed half as much. Second, because my Grandfather always taught me that it didn't make sense to kill your egg layers and that killing young gobblers was just stealing longbeards from your future.  I watched 'em walk away. They were cool to see and listen to, but it is burned in my brain to give those birds a free pass.  Right or wrong, that's how I was raised.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
I used to hunt with a group that did fall dog hunts (late 80's-late 90's).  We did shoot hens then and our population declined because of it.  These days I fall hunt solo, but will only target mature toms by personal preference. I've only sealed the deal twice in the last 1/2 dozen falls though! 
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »
Agree with above. We have a lot of turkeys around me and fall hunting pressure is minimal. Most here deer hunt in the fall and forget about turkeys altogether. The biologists say our population can support a fall season so I have no qualms about shooting legal birds in the fall. But as stated I think it's best to not shoot a brood hens or boss hens as I call them.

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
We are loud one bird in the fall with a two week gun hunt in the middle of a month long bow hunt. I buy a turkey tag just in case I see a nice tom well bow hunting deer.