Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

getting myself a new shotgun giving the 1100 a rest which one would yall pick

Started by jbo225, November 19, 2017, 02:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

Well yall im going to be getting a new shotgun here soon and give my 1100 some rest and figured ill get myself a pump since I don't have one and also they are cheaper. So I've narrowed it down to either the Benelli nova or the Winchester SXP field pump thoughts opinions on the two and o yeah 12g

grayfox

I know it's not on your list but I recommend the 870 3" mag. Lot more accessories to choose from to go on it if you need. I have a 21" barrel on mine along with a magpul stock & I love it for turkey hunting.

turkey_picker

I'm partial to Winchester shotguns, been shooting a 1300 for 38 years. Just got a Winchester SXP Universal Hunter for a second turkey gun, both are 12ga 3".  I have not had time to pattern the SXP yet, but planing on using Federal HW #7 through a Trulock choke. The 1300 likes Hevi-13 straight 7's. Good luck and good shooting.  :z-twocents:

SumToy

870 or Moss 500 (3 inch) Moss 535 (3 1/2)    Both have alot of aftermarket parts.  They are two of the toughest guns that you can get.   Both will pattern about anything you put in them.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

greencop01

Quote from: SumToy on November 20, 2017, 08:56:12 AM
870 or Moss 500 (3 inch) Moss 535 (3 1/2)    Both have alot of aftermarket parts.  They are two of the toughest guns that you can get.   Both will pattern about anything you put in them.   :anim_25:
X2           
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Spurs Up

I currently own and somewhat regularly shoot 2 BPSs, 2 870s, 2 Mossys, and 1 Benelli pump.  For what it's worth, the Benelli is the best of the bunch. Engineering and attentive craftsmanship far exceeds the others. Also, the best (wing) shooting one for me.

Haven't had a Winchester in a long time. If it's better built than a Benelli, I'm missing out. Good luck with your selection.

jimmy w

If I had to shoot a pump I would go with a Browning BPS!!Stay away from the cheap guns????

Fullfan

I know you said 12ga, last year I bought a Weatherby auto in 20 ga. With a Sumtoy choke it shooter the Federal Heviweight 7 shot better than any of my 12ga's. Sure all of my 12 ga guns will never hunt again. My 20ga does even better with  1 5/8 TSS 9 shot.
Don't gobble at me...

Bowguy

I use most often an 835. If I was getting a new gun I think I'd go for a Browning BPS.

trkehunr93

I'm a mossberg fan, have a 500 and and 835.  Buddy of mine had an 1100 he sent of to Mark Bansner back in the late 80's before you could get a tried and true turkey gun and had the barrel cut down and a custom choke installed, forcing cone lengthened and it was one heck of a gun.  If I would have known then what I know now I would have made him an offer when he sold it, it was a slick gun. 

KentuckyHeadhunter

Mossberg 835 ulti mag turkey.  Versatile and rugged.  I also like the BPS.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

bbcoach

Another vote for the 835.  I bought mine about 10 years ago, after retiring my 1100 as well and I love it.  It shoots every shell well.  One of the best patterning guns available.  Plenty of chokes and loads available also.  Won't break the bank.