turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best surface for a beginner?

Started by jbo225, November 17, 2017, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

so im wanting to get a pot call an was wondering what the best surface for a beginner is also the wood type if that makes a difference.

HookedonHooks

Slate or ceramic are going to be the easiest to get consistently good notes out of. A good glass call will run with ease as well. Wood doesn't matter really, but if you stick simple to Walnut it will likely look and sound good.

jbo225

ok I didn't know if the wood made a difference or not. how about the striker any certain one?

outdoors

I HAVE TOO AGREE WITH SLATE AND CERAMIC, A GOOD CERAMIC CALL NOT JUST A CERAMIC CALL
AS FAR AS STRIKERS TOU CANT GET ENOUGH, THEY MAKE DIFFERENT SOUNDS WITH DIFFERENT WOOD TYPES FOR A STRIKER .....GOOD LUCK IN YOUR CHOICES
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

HookedonHooks

Yessir, wood won't matter too much, just tonally changes a few things. If you don't want to go wrong, get you a nice Dymondwood striker, then experiment with different woods after that.

jimmy w

I am a beginner and I have purchased around 12 pot calls that are from different guys and different materials with different strikers and the easiest and best sounding combo that I have is Slate with a dymondwood striker.Snakewood striker is 2nd.good luck Dude

Chris O

I bought my boys Mike Yingling waterproof pots crystal over glass.They run easy sound good and play just as well wet as dry.And a fair price.

owego

go to EnticerTurkeyCalls.com They have 27 different pot calls. Wood, Composite & Corian Pots. All work with a slight touch & a videos of each call so you know what you are getting.

jbo225

so ill check into either the slate or ceramic now I see other pot calls stating slate over glass something over something else what is that all about can someone better explain?

Chris O

I don't think anyone gave you bad advice I will agree with what everyone told you .The slate over glass means the surface you will run your striker on is slate and the soundboard is glass.Slate over slate has a slate soundboard and slate playing surface.

jbo225

I do appreciate all the advice and responses I asked in general section but think I should have asked it here instead I'm wanting a custom call made here in Virginia any recommendations on the better call makers in Virginia i wanna represent my state of Virginia buy buying from a maker here in the state.

M,Yingling

I would say a fine built crystal  would be way to go ,,, when u find a virginia  call builder ask what his recommendation would be on surface for a easy runner and turkey
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

MK M GOBL

Been working for me for better than 20 years :)
Cody World Class Slate with Light Hickory Striker

MK M GOBL

turkey stew

SSCustom calls is from VA. and they make mighty fine pots.

owego

Jbo225, When you get your call make sure you watch Enticer's Videos on conditioning & how to get the great sound out of a pot call. Guarantee you will thank me! All young hunters should watch them.