OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gun rest while calling  (Read 23950 times)

Offline ezmorningrebel

Re: Gun rest while calling
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:50 AM »
i used that little hs knee pad last year and will again this season.  i think i might add a loop of paracord to my vest to hold the stock this year.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
I agree with the others and have used the HS Strut knee pad for years.  It isn't perfect and will fall down to your ankle when you start walking, so i usually keep it in one of my vest pockets and put it on when i set down against a tree and get ready to start calling.

Here's a pic of it "in action" as I sit and wait for something to happen on the last day of the season in 2017

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 05:06:29 PM »
I also use the HS strut with and without the butt loop on the vest.  Attach to leg and go.  No extra weight to carry or gear forget.

If I am taking one of my younger guys, I use the Primos trigger stick Gen 2 short tripod.  It is heavier than most of the above options but the tripod is a little more stable for them.  Since I wear a minimalist vest without a big pouch, I carry it with a police flashlight holder on my belt.  If you slide one of the legs through it, you are hands free and Lord knows you need both hands with the little guys.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
I just rest it on my knee. When the tom is getting close you typically should stop calling anyway and get into shooting form. They are very good at determining the direction of your call, trust me if he's hot he will come on into you. Over calling can hurt you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
This is what I do. If you need to “call” more scratch the leaves w free hand

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »
I would highly recommend Knight's Gun Forearm Rest. Check it out yourself.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »
I would highly recommend Knight's Gun Forearm Rest. Check it out yourself.

I took a look at it yesterday and I think I am going to get one. Do you just use the knee rest or the whole setup with the shoulder mount? Thanks in advance

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
I use just the knee rest.

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
I use the gun sling with both knees up to hold it cross ways as bird gets closer I usually let it hang off 1 knee pointed in right direction . For super close I either use mouth call or place pot call on ground against my hip

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Thank you/

Online Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »
Revisiting my previous post, I would mention, I prefer to use what nature provides if possible.

A rock, or a stump, or a fallen limb will hold the gun, and allow me to hide the movement of a friction call.

This season, I realized how often I simply just pick up the gun and shoot.  I have never let a bird in good range walk, cause my gun was not on him.  The most important aspect is that my body is turned the correct direction to mount and shoot the gun.  As a righty, I always face a bit more to the right, so that the bird comes in on my left... 

If a bird is in range, and I am situated so that I do not need to turn around to shoot him, I simply lift the gun and fire...  It occurs to me, that I have spoiled far more opportunities by having my gun slip off my knee, than I have by simply lifting and firing...

Last sentence is very accurate, always was the butt stock for me and never liked putting it at my belt with the barrel going up and down while I called. As a friction caller now it's either in my lap and calling or I'm on the barrel and locked in.  I do try to put the call so that a one handed purr/cluck can be made but it's not always a given that the call can be elevated off the ground to do it right. Oh it makes me see a thumb diameter pine stick with a lot of thanks
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 09:38:56 PM »
I just lay the gun on the ground beside me and pick it up when I need to to kill the bird.

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Camo-Gun-Rest/dp/B00162OIUY

I used my knees for the last 10 to kill plenty of turkeys. I can see how that would be a little easier on the knee. Thanks for that.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
Knight and Hale Universal Hands Free System. Works great!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
An 8'x3' piece of plastic camo cloth with holes cut in it for air passage is set up just in front of me which hides my movement, including lifting my shotgun off the ground beside me when the gobbler is coming on in. I keep my calls spread out on another piece of plastic to keep them up off the ground. The camo cloth is held up with some pieces of river cane and accompanies my ground lounger as well as a couple of decoys. I can sit for hours with this arrangement if necessary, having taken a gobbler this past spring at 12 noon after setting up at 5:30 a.m.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2020, 08:30:30 AM »
I have used the HS rest but now just use my knee. It was nice for longer sits but I mainly do run and gun. I will sit and wait occasionally but I also like to minimize the stuff I carry with me in the woods.

I also mainly do mouth calls. So holding the gun up and calling isn’t so much an issue for me. I do carry pot calls and I have found this balance position on my knees and arm. I prop the barrel on my knee and kinda tuck the stock under my arm. I also use a reflex sight so I don’t have to exactly have my check on the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk