OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gun rest while calling  (Read 24123 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Gun rest while calling
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Welcome to the site. Here is another option that may work for you. http://www.hipstickrest.com/ Here is a video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZcGbmxzPk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
I use the HS Strut knee pad but I just ordered the Dead Rest Sling.
It’s going to be the cats meow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
Good question.  I had to go back and look at a couple of pictures to figure this out.  It has become so automatic over the years.

In general, I keep the shotgun on the ground with the barrel propped on a log or laid out on a folded poncho. The trick is to get the barrel up enough that I am not laying any metal on on the ground.  Usually, the only thing that touches the ground is the tip of the butt pad. I also want enough of a gap between the stock and the ground that I can get my right hand around the pistol grip without looking.  If a gobbler is coming in, I get my body positioned, and then bring the shotgun up, usually resting it on my right knee.

Attached is a pic of a setup in 2014. It pretty well shows how I situate myself for a long sit.  The only thing missing is that you cannot see the pushpin call on the ground by my right side.  I always keep that there as a last resort.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
Ive been using a cheap shooting stick for years. I shattered my left arm and lost nerve and muscle. I can’t hold a shotgun up for very long without shaking real bad. My shotgun also has a pistol grip stock. I just hold it by the pistol grip and balance it on the shooting stick. I don’t stick it in the ground, some places are rock anyway. It’s what I’ve been doing for many years now and works pretty good. Sometimes if I know the bird is still a few minutes from coming in, I just use the stick to scratch the leaves and then put my gun back on it. Probably spent less than $10 for the stick.

Offline kiltman

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
  I have used the knee pad and the paracord on the shoulder.  I have also used my shoulder to hold it.  I lean a little to one left side and lay the gun stock sideways on my shoulder.  I don't do this for long periods.  There's a vendor about to put out a shoulder strap stand alone.  It will work without you wearing your vest or will work with a vest.

Check out Knights Hunting Products.

Wisconsinteacher: I'm never going to hunt anywhere close to you!
I took 2 wooden dowels and made a rest with them.  I used the rubber bands used for castration.  Cheap and it works.

Offline dedwards44

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
I have found that sitting in a low seat, such as the gobbler lounge along with the Priomos shooting stick....I can be ready in a split second and even doze off without dropping my shotgun.

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
hs rest as well. Saves those kneecaps. Also added a pistol grip to the gun. Way easier to keep still for long periods.
Phil 4:13

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
I have found that sitting in a low seat, such as the gobbler lounge along with the Priomos shooting stick....I can be ready in a split second and even doze off without dropping my shotgun.

Agreed, although I'm not sure about the dozing part. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
Gun rest while calling
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018, 12:34:13 AM »
I took 2 wooden dowels and made a rest with them.  I used the rubber bands used for castration.  Cheap and it works.
This is what I use also. Two dowels painted up to look real pretty with three castrating bands about 6-8” down on one end. The other end I drilled a hole through both dowels and just stick a short length of paracord through and tie a knot to Keep it together while I’m walking around.  I usually just hold it in my hand when walking around it kind of doubles as a hiking stick.

Offline Heavy Load

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 04:43:13 AM »
This is what I use also. Two dowels painted up to look real pretty with three castrating bands about 6-8” down on one end. The other end I drilled a hole through both dowels and just stick a short length of paracord through and tie a knot to Keep it together while I’m walking around.  I usually just hold it in my hand when walking around it kind of doubles as a hiking stick.

I made the same thing with 1inch pvc tubing. Run a bolt through it and loctite the washer and nut so I can't lose them. Spray painted it camo, it's lite and has worked.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
Revisiting my previous post, I would mention, I prefer to use what nature provides if possible.

A rock, or a stump, or a fallen limb will hold the gun, and allow me to hide the movement of a friction call.

This season, I realized how often I simply just pick up the gun and shoot.  I have never let a bird in good range walk, cause my gun was not on him.  The most important aspect is that my body is turned the correct direction to mount and shoot the gun.  As a righty, I always face a bit more to the right, so that the bird comes in on my left... 

If a bird is in range, and I am situated so that I do not need to turn around to shoot him, I simply lift the gun and fire...  It occurs to me, that I have spoiled far more opportunities by having my gun slip off my knee, than I have by simply lifting and firing...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 08:29:46 AM »
In my book, the best gun rest is the Knight Gun Forearm Rest. Check it out at Knight's hunting products.

Offline diyj98

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 09:20:56 AM »
I've always just kept my gun across my lap then tried to get it up into shooting position as the turkey went behind a tree or brush pile, but I may try one of the strap-on knee pads next year just to help keep the gun from sliding around.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
I use Bi Pod Shooting Sticks which are light and easy to carry and use.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
hs rest as well. Saves those kneecaps. Also added a pistol grip to the gun. Way easier to keep still for long periods.

YES