OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS..  (Read 2429 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS..
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
 The story below spans 8 years members--enjoy.

I have not seen Gobbler#1 in a good 2 Spring Turkey Seasons now. There was a time starting around 2007 when he showed up in all my hotspots at some point on a weekend morning. If, I was there first-- Gobbler#1 would bust that gobbler- sometimes by moving noisily through a swamp near to a field where I was calling to a gobbler. Being 74 when I was 48 when we met on our mountain bikes- he was obviously retired and could work those gobblers in these hotspots  that ranged from 1 1/4 miles in to close to 2 miles in--during the workweek. Gobbling fell off big time as in dead gobblers don't gobble. In the last 2 Springs though, I am hearing ALOT more gobblers!!!
     Did Gobbler#1 from New Jersey take over the 2 gobbler New York Limit?   Possibly-- who would know if he toted 4-5-6 gobblers out on his mountain bike during the month of May. Now I am 58 and Gobbler#1 would be 84.  I look forward to hearing alot of fired up 3-year old toms next MAY.

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS..
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
Basically, after my fourth reading, what I get from this is that an 82 year old man was kicking your rear on public land.
Sure hope the old fella is doing allright.

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
I've been reading this all day and I'm still lost :z-dizzy:

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

25 years of grading High School kids essays gives me  unique deciphering abilities.
Quavers is pretty much lamenting over an old fella from New Jersey who would now be 84, ruining all of "his" New York public land hot spots by assuming the normal reduction in gobbling as the season progresses as dominance becomes well established is instead a result of how many toms the old guy has illegally taken beyond the New York limit of two birds.
Of course, all of this is based upon assumptions.
However; he hasn't seen the old fella for the past two seasons, so without concern for the old man or his well being, he is looking forward to this year's hunting prospects.
The end.

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
now I got it, thank you sir.

Offline dirtnap

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »

25 years of grading High School kids essays gives me  unique deciphering abilities.
Quavers is pretty much lamenting over an old fella from New Jersey who would now be 84, ruining all of "his" New York public land hot spots by assuming the normal reduction in gobbling as the season progresses as dominance becomes well established is instead a result of how many toms the old guy has illegally taken beyond the New York limit of two birds.
Of course, all of this is based upon assumptions.
However; he hasn't seen the old fella for the past two seasons, so without concern for the old man or his well being, he is looking forward to this year's hunting prospects.
The end.

That was my "cliff note" version interpretation as well.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
At least now i know it wasnt just me trying to decifer this a few times before i finally figured it out..If I was that concerned about someone poaching in my area I would have first confronted them man to man and if that didn't seem to help then the game warden instead of letting it possibly go on for several years...

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
Had a feeling all replys would be negative...I did have it out verbally with the old dude in the parking lot . Have not seen him since. My Brother in law had 3-4 Spring hunts ruined by this guy. Other Spring hunters were heard to talk of him as well.   
   I disagree with Hooksfan and will leave it at that. See ya all next Friday on this Library computer.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
I wasn't trying to come off as negative only relaying what I'd do or would have done...Maybe the old timer is off in the Happy alleged poaching grounds and God willing you have several years until you have to worry about him again...

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
Was that the same guy that drove into the fields to shoot all of "your" birds?  Why do you worry about it?  Just go out and shoot a jake. 

Offline Gamblinman

• Double Beard
  • Major Flagelator
    • Georgia Deer Cam
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
Who the hell goes to the library to get online these days? Good grief. Get with new millennium and quit being a crybaby. Man up and grow a pair.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
The post was for members enjoyment. Did not deserve the 2 replys above this one.  Gobbler#1 is high up on the NJ NTWF.  Gobbler#1 is somewhere on his truck.
    Gamblinman-- the reason I am on a Library computer is obvious-- I can't afford my own computer.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
Interesting reading this thread is.  As has been noted, speculation can cause one's imagination to run rampant.  Personally, I would speculate that if old Gobbler #1 is indeed approaching his mid-eighties,...and if he has been involved with the NWTF long enough to be "high up" in the ranks there,...he is unlikely to be the type that would stoop to poaching.  From my experience, folks that do stuff like that normally 1) do not get involved in organizations that promote ethical hunter behavior, and 2) tend to end up being "ratted on" and then run out of organizations like the NWTF. 

I suspect/speculate that there are other, more reasonable explanations for the marked increase in gobbling there.  Having said that, there is no telling for sure without concrete evidence,...but if I was forced to bet on it, I would put my money on an alternate explanation rather than leaping to the conclusion that some old dude was wiping out the turkey population single-handedly.  :)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
I think he was probably a mid eighties Ninja that liked eating turkey... :funnyturkey: