OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi shot penetration  (Read 6435 times)

Offline WVGOBBLER1997

Hevi shot penetration
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
Got a question regarding hevi shot mag blends. How is the penetration of the mag blends ?

Offline worth612000

• Longbeard
Re: Hevi shot penetration
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
I shoot the mag blend and straight 7's and they do a good job for me. At 12g/cc they are not that much denser than lead. But they hold a tight dense even pattern @ 40 yards with no problem putting a turkey down with the right choke tube. I have used both the .660 and .665 in a 12ga. The shot in these shells are not perfectly round and sometimes jagged and I think this may aid in penatration.

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
The kinetic energy and resultant penetration of 12 cc Hevi-shot is devastating on turkeys well within self imposed ethical ranges.  The odd shaped pellets ie. eliptical, dumb bell, do not penetrate better than a true spherical pellet, but the imparted energy and tissue damage is lethal.  It can be an expensive proposition, but you need to evaluate the patterns produced with various choke tubes at varied ranges to ascertain the optimum combination for your firearm w/ the Magnum Blends.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
Great advice from decoykrvr.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
The kinetic energy and resultant penetration of 12 cc Hevi-shot is devastating on turkeys well within self imposed ethical ranges.  The odd shaped pellets ie. eliptical, dumb bell, do not penetrate better than a true spherical pellet, but the imparted energy and tissue damage is lethal.  It can be an expensive proposition, but you need to evaluate the patterns produced with various choke tubes at varied ranges to ascertain the optimum combination for your firearm w/ the Magnum Blends.

What he said.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
I think I've got penetration figures saved on my desktop. Will check tomorrow and revert. The above poster commented on tissue damage. I both agree and disagree. Most of us rely on damaging the central nervous system to put our birds down aka brain and spine. Penetration is necessary to accomplish this regardless of what tissue damage is caused getting there.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »
Whatever ya do don't buy into the marketing hype showing that cone being lethal at 70 yards. That is not the case.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
I don't have the test saved.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
The 5s in MBs will penetrate 2.23" of bg @ 40 yds, the 6s - 1.89", and the 7s - 1.55"; all more than adequate at 40 yds. Personally, I much prefer straight 6s or 7s to the MBs. The 5s have a huge surplus of energy at the expense of pattern density.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »
Got a question regarding hevi shot mag blends. How is the penetration of the mag blends ?
The blends for me penetrated very well....the straight #7s not so much. They would fall out from in between the wood and target paper @ 40 yds. I believe it's b/c they are only going 1090 fps,compared to 1200 fps with the blends. Now....before I catch a bunch of flak for this comment,please understand this was MY experience with them. All that being said,I also killed a few birds using the straight 7s and did so with much success!!! Also as a note,I also got my best pattern with them 336 in the 10" . Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:11:53 AM by BINK McCARTY »

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »
I like them both but use 7's mostly with an occasional Mag Blend thrown in the mix. I know the Mag Blends recoil more IMO but I haven't seen any difference in actual killing power as they both are great gobbler getters!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline pdaugherty

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
I've shot the MBs and a lot of the strait size shot. My gun patterns the 2oz #7s best. With that being said when I've patterned my gun I've used pieces of sheetrock and a wet phone book to help determine penetration and at 40yds or any other ethical range the #7s and the MB have no problem penetrating through the sheetrock and well into the phonebook. Now that isn't a accurate representation of a turkey but to me it helps show the energy and penetration that these pellets have.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »
Before Nitro and TSS I shot the HeviShot #7s and never had an issue with their penetration so I have not doubt in the MagBlends.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 06:14:28 AM »
Killed a few with mag blends and they did fine. I liked the straight #6 loads better though. In my opinion anything bigger than #6 shot is a waste of space in hevishot if you are keeping your shots around 40  yards and less.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »
A few observations on the MB's.  I've killed the majority of my turkeys, since they were initially released, w/ the EM, 2 oz., 3", 7's, utilizing 6's in the magazine as back-up.  I hunted w/ the EM, 6's prior to introduction of the EM 7's and MB's.  I initially tried to evaluate pattern percentages w/ both the 3" and 31/2" MB's .but gave up upon the realization that virtually no two shells contained the same number of shot due to the variability of shot sizes.  I've open MB shells which contain shot sizes from 4's , or slightly larger, to 9's.  With that said, the shear knock-down power and lethality of the MB's against gobblers is undeniable.  A couple of years ago, I called a gobbler to @ 35 yards and shot what I thought was my standard EM, 3", 7, until the gun went off, at which time I realized that I had inadvertently placed a MB in the chamber.  The recoil was significantly greater than that w/ a EM, 3",7, and the gobbler's head and neck were destroyed.  With both the 3' and 31/2" MB's, I get a slightly better pattern by utilizing a choke .005-.010 more open than what I would normally use w/ the EM 6's or 7's and find that an increase of .010 is especially significant when utilizing a shotgun w/ a back-bored barrel.