OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planning a spring 2018 trip

Started by Big Jeremy, November 06, 2017, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

A friend and I are planning to leave the great state of Tennessee to chase some gobblers next spring. Initial states considered have been Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. We are open to other states as well, but would prefer the opportunity to hunt a sub species other than easterns only.

Anyway, we plan to hunt on the cheap, taking advantage of public land. Can anyone convince me that one of these states, or another one not mentioned, would be the best for us to consider? Thanks in advance for any help and advice! This will be our first out of state hunting trip after over 30 years of combined experience hunting our own state, so we want to start doing our homework early, and be as prepared as possible for success!

fallhnt

Quote from: Big Jeremy on November 06, 2017, 09:59:49 PM
A friend and I are planning to leave the great state of Tennessee to chase some gobblers next spring. Initial states considered have been Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. We are open to other states as well, but would prefer the opportunity to hunt a sub species other than easterns only.

Anyway, we plan to hunt on the cheap, taking advantage of public land. Can anyone convince me that one of these states, or another one not mentioned, would be the best for us to consider? Thanks in advance for any help and advice! This will be our first out of state hunting trip after over 30 years of combined experience hunting our own state, so we want to start doing our homework early, and be as prepared as possible for success!
I have good success in NE and KS every Spring on public during archery season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

stringtown

I've hunted Ok but it was private. However, NE and KS offer some strong public ground hunting. If do your homework on KS walk-in land, you'll be fine there and if gonna tie in NE, look at central to north central Kansas. Good luck

Cove

Quote from: Big Jeremy on November 06, 2017, 09:59:49 PM

Options. That's the benefit of Kansas and Nebraska. If you're just interested in just getting on turkeys you've picked the 2 best states. Birds are typically plentiful and public ground is readily available. Just do your homework and have many different areas to try. It should be easy to gather over a dozen starting points. I would bet you'll not need all of them before you're into birds.

guesswho

My two experiences hunting public land in NE was like shooting chickens.  Total hunting time was about 4 hours to fill 4 tags spread over 4 mornings.   At least it left a lot of time to sight see.  Beautiful country out that way.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Big Jeremy

Thanks for all the input so far! If anyone has any specific advice that they don't want to put out there for everyone, feel free to PM me. I? understand wanting to keep things to yourself, though...ha! If it were me giving advice about public land in TN, I'd give some, but not all...gotta save some for myself!

Thanks for all the responses.