OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: tooling question  (Read 2139 times)

Offline flockbuster

tooling question
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
Got a tooling question for those of you who turn your mouth pieces for trumpets out of horn or delrin. Do you use the same turning tools as you use for wood?

Thanks

Wes

Offline Austy

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: tooling question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »
I know that I use the same tools, can't speak for anyone else.  A TIP FOR YOU when it comes time to drill out the mouth piece, slow down your lathe as slow as you can get it to run and use a small center drill to get the hole started dead center.  If its delrin or another synthetic you will probably have no problems drilling it out because the drill and the chip that the tip of the drill creates will spiral out the flues of the drill but once the flues are no longer visable make sure to clear the chip.  If its buffalo horn or Ivory I make sure that I only turn the tailstock crank on my lathe one (1) turn then back it out and clear the chip, it will build up and clog the flues of the drill bit unlike synthetic.  If you don't clear the chip and if the tip of the drill finds a soft spot or hard spot inside the piece don't be surprised if you ruin the piece of buffalo horn and have the drill pop out the side of the piece.  You will think everything is going perfect until the piece turns to crap, it happens.  If your drill bit is wobbling even a little when you start drilling you may have problems drilling dead center.  Hope this helps and answers a few of the questions that you might have.

Offline lumberjack

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
I have not turned horn.  However, I do use the same tools (carbide) to turn my delrin mouthpieces.

Offline flockbuster

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to thank you guys. Computer has been down for a while and for some reason I couldn't reply on my phone. Thanks guys

Offline mmclain

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »
Just well sharpened turning tools.   No carbide

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »
I use the same tools for horn and Delrin that I use on the wood. All HSS
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net