OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WI General Turkey Questions  (Read 1348 times)

Offline gbfan

WI General Turkey Questions
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Came across this site a while back, gained a lot of good info from it.

Wondering if anyone could school me up on turkey hunting in WI. 

I grew up in central WI but haven't lived there in over 10 yrs and never hunted birds when I was there.  I'll be heading back there next April (around the 28th), and was curious on opinions on which time period usually has decent activity.  I realize sometimes it can be weather dependent and a person could have a good hunt during any period but since I'll be there that time-frame, it looks like my options are period B or C (possibly period A but not sure if I'll be there that early). 
From reading the regs I need to apply by Dec and, if drawn, I would be able to pick up a second tag if there's any leftover for the same period, or I could get an extra for another period.  If I'm not drawn, I have to wait to see the leftovers, and I could buy 1 per day, correct?  What is the final amount of tags a person could have in their possession?  I saw the regs said "final authorization levels will be posted prior to the opening of each season." 
Also wondering, since I'll probably be limited to public land, if anyone has had better experiences in zone 1 or 3.  I'm leaning towards zone 3 since that's where I'm from, though I'm not against a bit of traveling.
If I get a specific period tag, is it good for all zones during that period?

Still a relative novice as this was my first year taking turkeys seriously (currently live in NM), but I'm hoping to learn a few more things and maybe kill an eastern next spring.

Thanks.

Offline merocustomcalls

• Longbeard
    • merocustomcalls.com
Re: WI General Turkey Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:58 PM »
Each tag is for a specific zone and a specific time period.  Typically you want to try to draw a tag that would be difficult to purchase over the counter.  The earliest seasons get drawn first.  Usually there are no remaining tags available to buy over the counter for the earlier seasons.  There is no limit to how many you can buy.  I have purchased as many as 9 in one spring.  I have hunted in both zones 1 and 3 with equal success.  It just depends on the year.  Since the zones touch each other, sometimes my friends and I will get tags for both zones in the same time period.  That way we can just cross into the other zone if we fill our tags in the first. 

Hope this helps.

Offline gbfan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks.  9 tags, dang!  I'm thinking just 1 or 2 (might actually have to spend some time visiting relatives!)  I think the zone might depend on the majority of huntable land I find.

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Hunted WI for 4 years now and most people  don’t wanna go the last couple of weeks.  Birds during that time are strictly early morning gobbling.  30 minutes after fly down, completed silence.  If you are restricted to that time frame, best bet is to hunt strut zones and roosts.  I actually enjoy that time because it takes a little different skill set and it is a good way to wind the season down.
This year is going to suck!!!