OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anyone from Ohio  (Read 2234 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Anyone from Ohio
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:24:50 AM »
Planning an out of state hunt to Ohio this year and was wondering if anyone here was from the state that I could bounce a few questions off someone about some things I'm not familiar with to try and get a little more clarity. Looking to hunt Public land on the East side of the state for a few days this spring. PM if you think you'd be able to help! Thanks everyone!

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Anyone from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »
i'm from the northeastern corner of the state,, what kind of questions do yo have???/  chris

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:13:37 AM »
Sent you a PM, Chris.

Offline borderjumper

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:36:46 AM »
From ne corner also.pm for specific questions.Lots of options and bird number have rebounded somewhat this year.Jim

Offline AndyH

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
I’m from the central Ohio and have hunted some on the east side. Feel free to PM for specific questions

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
Appreciate the responses. PMs sent to both of you guys.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »
Not from Ohio but have hunted it.  Lot's of public ground.  Wayne National Forest is pretty good.
Lot's of WMA land in Ohio.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
Anyone from Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:31:23 AM »
I’m in se Ohio, right in the middle of Wayne National Forest. Pm questions!

Online joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »
While I live in FL now I lived in OH for 50+ years and still hunt there often.  There is plenty of public land available all spelled out clearly on the ODNR web site.  Best tip - go the last week of the season instead of the opening week.  Very little pressure and much more enjoyable plus you will be able to hunt all day and not need to quit at noon.  Good luck.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:50:37 AM »
PM sent, Perry! I like that tip, Joey. I'm not sure which weekend we were looking to head out, definitely later in the PA season so I'll have to see how that corresponds to the OH season. I wanna say that just off the top of my head the OH season starts earlier, but that could be completely wrong and I'll have to check the dates. West Augusta, it just so happens that one of my questions happens to be about the Wayne National Forest, so I'm glad to see that you may have indirectly answered it for me! Thanks fellas, I really appreciate all of the help. First out of state trip so I'm nervous but very excited.

Offline borderjumper

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:59:15 AM »
You may want to check dates,there are now a north and a south zone.South zone opens a week earlier then north.The north zone is seven counties in northeast Ohio and opened a week later then pa last year. I don't like the change since I am on the border of Ashtabula Ohio and  Crawford pa. I would start hunting Ohio and scout pa.in the afternoons or go fishing.Now looking at public land in south zone since I really look forward to spring season. Yes I am spoiled having land in both states and only have to walk across the road.Today's question is do I deer hunt in Ohio or Pa.

Online joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »
I hope you can spend more that a weekend.  If not then the "all day" time period is almost a must.  As well as the Wayne research some of those large coal company tracts that are available in eastern OH.