OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TC Turkey Gun or 870 SPS w/ Scope?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline fal777

TC Turkey Gun or 870 SPS w/ Scope?
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
Not new to hunting or wing shooting but want to start turkey hunting. Live in Texas and will hunt out in Hondo area as well as some North TX hunting. Looking at TC Turkey 12ga or the 870 SPS. Some price difference  as well single shot etc.
The 20” barrel on the 870 seems to be an issue for some but am looking for advice
Should mention not new to shotgunning either but Turkey hunting is new to me
Input appreciated.  Thx

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: TC Turkey Gun or 870 SPS w/ Scope?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »
 :welcomeOG:

Either will work. Keep in mind shotgunning turkeys is more like shooting a rifle than wingshooting. The ammo makes the gun not the other way around.
I don't have a TC, but I'm intrigued by them....

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
I love my TC, but both guns should serve you well.  I just love how the Encore handles and shoots.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
TC Turkey Gun or 870 SPS w/ Scope?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Texas is a 4 bird state.  Double opportunities will present themselves with regularity.

I'd rather have the 870 with multiple shells.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »
Don't over look a good 20 gauge, with the chokes and the ammo offered now of days, a 20 will kill just as good as a 12 with less recoil and less weight to carry around, check out the 20 gauge pages on here for patterns and guns but I think it would be hard to beat the Rem 870 in a 20 gauge with the right choke and shot!

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »
I have several Benellis, Remingtons,etc..but when going turkey hunting i always grab my T/C Encore topped with a Nikon Turkey Pro 1x4. That combo = Bad turkey medicine for me..(I absolutely DID NOT like the sights on the T/C hence the Nikon..).With that said i think most of your decision probably lies in whether you want to limit yourself with one shell in a state that sounds like you can harvest more than one bird a day...I agree with the post on the 20 gauge youth Remington. I was astonished how my Sons patterned. Very light to carry,multiple shells,and great patterns. Check out some of our fellow members builds in the 20 gauge section. For my next turkey gun that's the route I'm going. More than adequate.

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
870.  Multiple shots.  We all miss at some point in our lives.  Never thought it would happen to me but it did!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
I missed one and was able to reload the Encore and make a killing shot.  Don’t think I will repeat that one, but, if not probable, it is possible.  The panic that comes with a miss is undescrible.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
I turkey hunted with a single shot Stevens for 10 years and never missed a bird with it.  If you make your first shot count, you generally won't need a follow up.  These days I hunt with a Bernelli SBE II and haven't needed a second shot. 

My grandfather taught me to hunt with a single shot.  When he was a kid, one shot had to = food, or you were wasting ammo/money.

I love a TC Encore as a turkey gun, especially with a good red dot or scope.  I wish I had one, because the SBE would likely stay parked.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 02:29:28 AM »
I like TC but got an 870. They are tough and reliable and usually found at a good price.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »
Love my 870

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
Out of the choices you presented I go with that scoped 870, more than a few time I have been able to kill "true" doubles and a bit tough to do with a single shot, not impossible but the odds aren't there. Been shooting a scoped 11-87 for 20+ years and it works out great!

MK M GOBL