OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Elk Hunt  (Read 4206 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
First Elk Hunt
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Well I love hunting turkeys and I love eating venison so when I hear that elk "talk like turkey and eat like a horse sized deer" I always knew eventually I'd have to make the long drive out west in pursuit of this magnificent creature. This year I turned 30 and decided to put together a hunt for elk with my father, turkey hunting buddy James and another close friend Mike.

My dads cousin had a good friend who guides in Western Idaho and we decided to book a hunt through his outfit for opening week of 2017 Idaho Elk season. Wow  :drool: These are some bad bad creatures and it was hands down the most epic hunting adventure I've been privileged to go on. Our camp was set at 7100ft and we arrived to a 15"+ snow storm although we hunted down below the snow line several days in steep drainages the tops were well over knee deep in snow all week. The scenery was simply a privilege to behold and to be able to hunt it rather than just be a gawking bystander was truly amazing, the range we were in featured many old historic gold mining towns along the Salmon River and added that old world feel to this pristine chunk of wilderness. James even found an old Stevens Bicycle Rifle from either the late 1800's or early 1900's, picked it up in a trail leading to one of the old camps as we inspected a set of mountain lion tracks.

The hunting was excellent as well, our group saw at least 20 bulls and covered tons of miles in some rugged country. I harvested a Bull opening afternoon when we relocated a herd bull we had spotted bugling and pushing some rag horns off that morning at first light from a high knob. Mike glassed a dropped another good bull at 400yds on day 4 after playing cat and mouse with several bulls earlier in the week and never getting a good clean shot opportunity. James passed on several small bulls and had the unfortunately luck of finding not one but two different bulls with Trophy class antlers on one side and completely broken up or busted off on the other and  with time left in the week he opted not to shoot and never got a decent bull in range. My father had a great time but limited by the terrain, topography, and elevation we struggled to get him on anything inside his 300yd comfort zone and he went home as the only hunter to not have a clear opportunity. We had nothing but positive things coming from the guides, cook, and camp and hope to return in 2019.

Will add some pics from my phone later today
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
First Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Pic1: They mad a pretty set set up on this Dodge for handling the snow in and out of camp.

Pic2: my bull, awesome experience to share with my father. By the time we caught up the the herd he was down in a hole for sure and it took 13hrs the next day to get everything back to camp as some of the terrain was too steep for tbe horses and required multiple trips with a single mule and lots of chainsaw work to clear a path. (Not sure how I'll complain about a deer drag anymore)

Pic3: Stevens bicycle rifle - these would have a small detachable stock that could be used to shoulder the single shot firearm

Pic4: Mike's bull they had gone out and stayed in a spike camp the night before about 4 mi from base and of course killed the bull another 4 the opposite direction so his was another all day pack out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
First Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
Racks made it home from Idaho to PA in about 44hrs and zero bragging rights to be had either way. Mike's and my bulls messured to the inch of each other. You could argue fractions but we won't

Some scenery and glassing points. Pics 1 and 4 the distant ridge is where I shot my bull on the backside just where the point falls off into rock bluffs and on day from those observation points in the pictures we found another 6x6 that had moved in on the cows but were unable to relocate when we dropped in closer on day 5 and day 6 was another blinding snow storm.

Offline chadly

Re: First Elk Hunt
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
Awesome pictures.  Congrats on the great bull.  Elk are defiantly on my bucket list. 

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
First Elk Hunt
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
Congrats. The west is a beautiful place.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
Congrats!!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
 :icon_thumright:

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Well done.  Awesome bulls.  :icon_thumright:  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
Congrats on an awesome Elk Hunt. Thanks for sharing! Some beautiful country!

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
I hate you!

No, not really, but I am very,very jealous.  Congratulations!

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »
Congrats..... :drool: I'm envious.....Great pictures!!!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
 Congrats on the great hunt you had and thanks for sharing. I noticed you guys like Tikka rifles. I think they are awesome Guns and one of the best factory Guns you can get anymore. What caliber did you use?

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »
We all took 2 guns but at least 1 for each guy was a tikka, in 7mag, 30-06, 308, and 270. They can flat shoot, super smooth action, affordable, and a light weight firearm.

Shots were 178 and 400yds neither bull made it 30yds.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt. What part of Pa you from??

I have hunted Idaho since 1983 and have seen some great times. The wolves and hunting pressure have changed things in a big way. The crew I hunt with has been in Idaho since 10/07, 8 guys and they only saw one rag horn bull. They are on the way home now, have to love the 40 hour drive.  We hunt the Salmon zone.

This year I was not able to go due to me recovering from a car accident back in June.

Congrats again you guys did good.
Don't gobble at me...