OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 7331 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
Hello everyone!  Hope all is doing well.  Doing pretty good myself.  Been a busy offseason this year as my wife and I had our second child in late August, our second son.  Have not gotten a chance to hunt and fish too much but it is looking like that will change here soon.  Have deer hunted 5 times and seen a good number of deer but just one button headed buck.  Took my oldest son, 3.5 years old, on his first hunt a week or so ago and we did get a chance to kill a good sized doe.  With the cold fronts pushing through I am hoping for a good few hunts this week possibly. Duck season is under a month as well and I am really looking forward to having a shotgun in my hands.

Been seeing a good many birds around the farm.  Saw 9 gobblers flocked up heading to the stand one evening.  Saw 5 hens in the field Dirt Road and I had good luck in this past spring.  Always fun to see them.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and see how everyone is doing.  Hope all is going great and we are on the down side of the hill to spring.  Just a little under 5 months for us SC guys!

My boy and I before we left for the stand:

Us with our deer:
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
Congratulations on the new youngin and your boys first hunt! I have been doin pretty good since spring. I have put in a good amount of time in a deer stand. I managed to harvest 2 deer last week. Ive seen some hens a couple of times while deer hunting but other than that haven’t seen many birds around my property. I’ve got my first Buice trumpet on order I’m real excited about! I hope everyone’s having a good fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
Glad to here from everyone so far, doing well here in VA.  Bowhunting, seeing lots of deer and got my miss out of the way two weeks ago.  Looking forward to carrying a gun instead of a bow, haven't had alot of time to scout but we have a fairly decent acorn crop around here.  Our fall turkey season opens Saturday for two weeks so hope to get out a time or two but really concentrating on putting deer in the freezer, don't want to have to buy a 1/4 cow from a local farmer like I did last year.  it's tasty just not the same satisfaction when I cook it.  I'll do my best to keep in touch and am counting down spring!  BTW Donald we need to see pics of the new baby.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
Howdy. All well here, been fishing a little and have had some good days and some not so good ones. When the weather is good we have been doing very well. Hadnt started deer hunting yet and to be honest, if my kids didn't want to go I'd probably all but give it up. Already planning out Spring 2018. Good to see y'all are doing ok.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Hello Everyone
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
Congrats on the new baby! That's awesome!
I've personally had a bit of a challenge for a bit.
I was diagnosed with a brain tumor during turkey season. Also had Lyme and babesi.
Tumor was 4.6cm and over 10 hrs surgery.
I was in a wheel chair, right side of my face didn't work, dominant eye sewed shut.
Balance has been an issue. God is good though he has given me the strength to take it.
Last week I'd also taken two deer, one a buck.  Seen 26 bucks so far this year but being limited hadn't closed the deal til than.
Not a giant deer but I'll take him

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
Here is my youngest boy:

Got number two tonight:

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
Great pics!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Awesome! 

Offline Turkeykiller12

Hello Everyone
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
Hey Everyone! Been a busy fall around here. Both boys playing ball have kept me busy and on the run. I've been able to find some time to deer hunt. I don't have anything real big on camera yet but hopefully one is around or will show up soon. Some good news is that I was able to pick up another piece of property for hunting. I'll be able to turkey hunt this coming spring. This farm is another gold mine for turkey hunting and luckily it joins some other property that I hunt. The good Lord has been very good to me with providing land that is blessed with turkeys. Congrats on the new baby also! Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe holiday season with their families. I hope  we're all able to give the others fits in the spring contest. I really believe we'll win it one of these days. To many killers on our team.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeykiller12

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
Congrats on the new baby! That's awesome!
I've personally had a bit of a challenge for a bit.
I was diagnosed with a brain tumor during turkey season. Also had Lyme and babesi.
Tumor was 4.6cm and over 10 hrs surgery.
I was in a wheel chair, right side of my face didn't work, dominant eye sewed shut.
Balance has been an issue. God is good though he has given me the strength to take it.
Last week I'd also taken two deer, one a buck.  Seen 26 bucks so far this year but being limited hadn't closed the deal til than.
Not a giant deer but I'll take him

Nice buck! Hope you're able to fully heal from the tumor.  I hate to hear of anyone dealing with this stuff. I hope you and your family have a good holiday season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Thanks turkeykiller, I appreciate it. You have a great holiday too!

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Hope everyone is well!! Congrats on the new addition to the family Donald! And congrats everyone else on there deer. Shot the biggest buck of my life yesterday. Recovered him this morning. Buck we had pics of during summer and a hot doe brought him by me at 25 yds.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
Congrats Bill, great buck!!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 03:52:39 AM »
Glad to hear you are on the mend Mike!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hello Everyone
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
Great deer Bill and thanks for the congrats!