turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall Birds Are The Best

Started by 870BkWht, October 20, 2017, 11:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Went to a friends property yesterday evening.  While he was bow hunting, I headed in the direction of where he saw turkeys a few days prior. I made the hike to the top of the ridge and made a few calls.  I thought I heard a turkey answer but wasn't sure.  I sat around for about 10 minutes, and never heard any more of what I thought were the turkeys.  I called they didn't answer, so I decided not to waste the evening and I took off after a barking squirrel.  I wound up killing a gray squirrel with the shotgun barrel of my combo gun.  After I retrieved the squirrel, I decided to creep in the direction of where I thought I heard a turkey.  I spotted a flock of 6 or 7 birds in a grown up clearing.  I decided to set down and made a kee kee and a series of lost yelps.  All the birds started moving towards me but they were angling down towards a pine thicket.   I made sure I had a clean shot with a good backstop for the bullet and at 50 yards, I picked out the brood hen and squeezed the trigger.  Its a good thing I used the rifle barrel because I forgot to load the shotgun barrel after I killed the squirrel.  I guess I would've found out really quick though.  Anyways, heres a few pictures of a nice WV fall hen.  I guessed her at around 10 or 11 pounds.