turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall Birds Are The Best

Started by 870BkWht, October 20, 2017, 11:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Went to a friends property yesterday evening.  While he was bow hunting, I headed in the direction of where he saw turkeys a few days prior. I made the hike to the top of the ridge and made a few calls.  I thought I heard a turkey answer but wasn't sure.  I sat around for about 10 minutes, and never heard any more of what I thought were the turkeys.  I called they didn't answer, so I decided not to waste the evening and I took off after a barking squirrel.  I wound up killing a gray squirrel with the shotgun barrel of my combo gun.  After I retrieved the squirrel, I decided to creep in the direction of where I thought I heard a turkey.  I spotted a flock of 6 or 7 birds in a grown up clearing.  I decided to set down and made a kee kee and a series of lost yelps.  All the birds started moving towards me but they were angling down towards a pine thicket.   I made sure I had a clean shot with a good backstop for the bullet and at 50 yards, I picked out the brood hen and squeezed the trigger.  Its a good thing I used the rifle barrel because I forgot to load the shotgun barrel after I killed the squirrel.  I guess I would've found out really quick though.  Anyways, heres a few pictures of a nice WV fall hen.  I guessed her at around 10 or 11 pounds.

CMBOSTC

crow

nice job, congrats on your turkey

M,Yingling

Congrats ,,,,got week to go before we hit fall turkey woods
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

wvspitndrum

Happy

Congrats, interesting over/under. I am used to seeing the rifle barrel on top.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

compton30

Quote from: Happy on October 23, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

Same. I have one that's a .357 Max over a 20 gauge. Never seen the shotgun barrel on top

870BkWht

Quote from: compton30 on October 23, 2017, 10:04:34 PM

Same. I have one that's a .357 Max over a 20 gauge. Never seen the shotgun barrel on top

That is a Baikal IZH-94 12ga over .223 Rem. Baikal is made in Russia and imported to America through a company called EAA (European American Arms). I got the gun from gunbroker in June of 2015. It's a little on the heavy side but it patterns great in the shotgun barrel and I can get a 3 shot 5/8" group with the rifle barrel. I'm currently shooting 19 grains of Reloader 7 powder and a 55 grain soft point and it really does a great job.

I know many people have their reservations and ill opinions about rifles for turkey hunting, and those people are welcome to those opinons.  I bought the gun with the intended purpose of turkey hunting.  I have used it to harvest 3 turkeys, 2 of those were with the rifle barrel.  All three of those turkeys were less than 60 yards.  I think a lot of people feel like carrying a rifle is unsportsman like but I treat mine just like a typical shotgun.  All three times I killed a bird with it, I was set up, complete with vest, gloves, etc. and I had been making calls before and during the hunt.  I also made absolutely sure I knew where the bullet was going to go when I shot.  I truthfully enjoy hunting with it, because its not something everyone carries, but it also allows me to extend my range a little more.  Could I shoot a lone turkey in a field at 200 yards?  Yes.  Will I?  No, because to me, making calls to the bird and convincing that turkey to head in your direction is the essence of turkey hunting for me, however I might not let him get quite as close as others prefer.  In summary, if a method is legal, and the hunter is safe, then its up to each hunter what he / she wants to do.

compton30

Quote from: 870BkWht on October 23, 2017, 11:04:16 PM
Quote from: compton30 on October 23, 2017, 10:04:34 PM

That is a Baikal IZH-94 12ga over .223 Rem. Baikal is made in Russia and imported to America through a company called EAA (European American Arms). I got the gun from gunbroker in June of 2015. It's a little on the heavy side but it patterns great in the shotgun barrel and I can get a 3 shot 5/8" group with the rifle barrel. I'm currently shooting 19 grains of Reloader 7 powder and a 55 grain soft point and it really does a great job.

I know many people have their reservations and ill opinions about rifles for turkey hunting, and those people are welcome to those opinons.  I bought the gun with the intended purpose of turkey hunting.  I have used it to harvest 3 turkeys, 2 of those were with the rifle barrel.  All three of those turkeys were less than 60 yards.  I think a lot of people feel like carrying a rifle is unsportsman like but I treat mine just like a typical shotgun.  All three times I killed a bird with it, I was set up, complete with vest, gloves, etc. and I had been making calls before and during the hunt.  I also made absolutely sure I knew where the bullet was going to go when I shot.  I truthfully enjoy hunting with it, because its not something everyone carries, but it also allows me to extend my range a little more.  Could I shoot a lone turkey in a field at 200 yards?  Yes.  Will I?  No, because to me, making calls to the bird and convincing that turkey to head in your direction is the essence of turkey hunting for me, however I might not let him get quite as close as others prefer.  In summary, if a method is legal, and the hunter is safe, then its up to each hunter what he / she wants to do.

Hey man, no arguments here. My old man bought his, the one I currently have, at his late Uncle's auction. He always told me he was going to use it for Fall turkeys and toted it a few times without any success (he's not a serious turkey hunter). I think he just wanted it for the sentimental value. Been ages since I shot that piece, but they are cool.

Happy

Well its a pretty gun. I reload as well. Pretty well stick to 53 barnes bullets in my setup but it is set up for young kids and deer. So far I have been pleasantly surprised with its performance so far. Even with marginal shots

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

I have no problem with the ethical use of the rifle as a turkey gun.  However I do have a problem with the way some people use the rifle.  Heck, I have a problem the way some use the shotgun (and bow) too.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

texasturkeygirl