News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835vs535

Started by coyotetrpr, April 15, 2011, 11:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 11:06:22 AM
ok ya those are amazing   :lol:   But dangit I bet my 535 could do that if I had the time and money, emphasis on the money. Until then, my 290+ will do just grand   :you_rock:

You can spend all the money you want but a 535 ain't shooting 360 unless you get a good lot of Nitros loaded with undersize shot.

chatterbox

Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 10:33:03 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on April 16, 2011, 03:50:56 AM
Had I been smarter, I woulda bought an 835.
Wish I had one now. They throw a heck of a better pattern.

Have you shot both guns side by side with exact same conditions? How do you know, or anybody know, that the 835 throws A HECK OF a better pattern? Yes, you guessed it, I am a 535 owner. I have never shot the 835 but did do some patterning last week with my 535. My best patterns were 288 and 298. Those numbers are in the better half of patterns id say after reading on here.

So your saying id get 350 and a much more even pattern by just switching guns?
I own a 535 as well, and on my best day, I got 189 in a 10" circle at 40 with 3-2-6 hevi.. The 835 with an overbored barrel will beat the 535 on any day. Simply put, the 535 cannot hang with them. I didn't say I wouldn't kill a turkey, but in the numbers game it won't beat an 835. 

SpringFever

Quote from: goblr77 on April 16, 2011, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 11:06:22 AM
ok ya those are amazing   :lol:   But dangit I bet my 535 could do that if I had the time and money, emphasis on the money. Until then, my 290+ will do just grand   :you_rock:

You can spend all the money you want but a 535 ain't shooting 360 unless you get a good lot of Nitros loaded with undersize shot.

Theres a pic on here somewhere ive seen it. Its not 360 but its upper 350's i believe! So yes! it can be done!!

SpringFever

Found it. Well its not upper 350's but 352. I dont really care to be honest if the 535 can "hang" with the 835. But it can put up great numbers. This is out of 3.5"painfuldeath's 535.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would like to tape measure that 40yds and see it for myself.  But that is just me.  20" barrel makes it even harder for me to believe. 

SpringFever

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 16, 2011, 04:36:21 PM
I would like to tape measure that 40yds and see it for myself.  But that is just me.  20" barrel makes it even harder for me to believe. 

Why are you so skeptical of a 535? I get you the best evidence a guy can find and you question the distance? Sounds like a cop out to me. I guess I would like to see your taped 40 yards. I cant believe im getting worked up over this. If we cant trust eachother on here when we say its 40 yards what do we have then? I think there are many great turkey guns, 835 included. I might own one some day. But to say a certain gun CANT do something is beyond me.

ILIKEHEVI-13

There's a big difference between seeing it posted as 40yds stepped off vs 40yds tape measured.  I measure all my targets at a tape measured 40yds.  I will also be more than glad to show my patterns live if someone want to go witness them.  My gun should only shoot better as the temp warms up even more.  Those targets I posted were witnessed the other day by a Mr Moore.  He  was impressed to say the least.  He was shooting a SX3 which is a fine shotgun no doubt.  I'm not downgrading a 535, but like I said they won't come close to shooting with a 835.  All 835's I know of that I have seen shoot would shoot just about like mine if the barrel was 28".  Mine isn't special although I did polish the barrel my own secret way.  But I know how other shotguns will shoot for the most part cause I have shot quite a few or seen them shoot over the years.  If I was betting money with the Hevi-13 #7 loads, I would put my money on the 835 over the 535 any single day of the year.  It's that simple.  

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 16, 2011, 04:36:21 PM

Agreed.

SpringFever

Alright I give in. You both are right. There is no way a 535 can shoot patterns like a 835. Just cant happen. If there are any pictures showing such accomplishment, surely they are lying.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SpringFever on April 18, 2011, 08:31:21 PM
Alright I give in. You both are right. There is no way a 535 can shoot patterns like a 835. Just cant happen. If there are any pictures showing such accomplishment, surely they are lying.

Dude, just buy you a 835 and put a .676 Star Dot on it if you are lucky enough to find one or just buy a Pure Gold .670.  Then shoot it against any 535 with Hevi-13 any loads you want to pick it won't matter.  The 535 will end up crying.  The 535 ain't a bad shotgun at all.  But anyone who knows shotguns will tell you the exact same thing we have.  

SpringFever

I might just buy a 835 next year.  We'll see. Sorry, just rubbed me the wrong way. No hard feelings.

SpringFever

Hevi- You said your 835 has a 28" barrel. Do you think you could still get yout 350+ with a 24" barrel? I like the idea of a shorter barrel but want to reach out as far as I can.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SpringFever on April 18, 2011, 08:43:45 PM
Hevi- You said your 835 has a 28" barrel. Do you think you could still get yout 350+ with a 24" barrel? I like the idea of a shorter barrel but want to reach out as far as I can.

The difference in the shorter barrel will probably be only 10-15 shot.  That's just a guess.  The longer barrels typically shoot a little better.  But the point is moot when you can throw patterns that's consistently 300 or more shot with good shooting Hevi-13 #7 loads.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And what I told you above about the Star Dot or Pure Gold was for shooting Hevi-13 3.5 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads.  

SpringFever

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 18, 2011, 08:55:45 PM
And what I told you above about the Star Dot or Pure Gold was for shooting Hevi-13 3.5 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads.  

Are Star Dots hard to find? I would imagine you could still find brand new ones? Or, arent they made anymore...