OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835vs535

Started by coyotetrpr, April 15, 2011, 11:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

What are the differences between the 535 and 835? Is it simply the bore diameter, or is there more? Witch one patterns better? Finally, why the need for 2 3.5 pump guns?
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

grousec

The only reason I could think of for having two 3.5 guns is because one is overbored.  But the 835 is also heavier and kicks hard with 3.5's.  So I can't imagine shooting the 535 with 3.5's.  I know the 500 sure had the punch to it with 3" shells, but maybe the 535 is different!

Trevor2

535 kicks like a borrowed plow mule as well with the 3.5. Only differences I know of are the ones you have mentioned. definately lighter as well
Strutstopper

goblr77

The 535 is basically a 500 chambered for 3.5" loads. I had one and got rid of it. The 835 handles the recoil of 3.5's better and also throws a much better pattern with the overbored barrel. It's a no brainer on which to choose IMO. Here's a few 835 patterns through a 24" pipe.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mcgruff1533

I have a 535 with a 20" barrel and that sucker kicks like nobody's business.      Basically, the 535 is a marriage between the 500 and 835 series.      It has a 3.5" chamber from the 835 combined with a standard 12 gauge bore diameter from the 500 series.

I have never had the opportunity to shoot an 835 in comparison to my 535, but I would guess the felt recoil would be slightly less with the 835 due to it's added weight and overbored barrel.

I considered both guns but went with the 535 because of it's ability to double as a home-defense shotgun.    Slugs should not be fired through overbored barrels because they can literally "rattle" down the bore.    This hurts accuracy, and is hard on the barrel.

In hindsight, I could have gotten the 835 and stuck with buckshot for home defense, but I like having options when the zombie apocalypse is upon us.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I still enjoy looking at those patterns.   :happy0064:

mightyjoeyoung

The 535 is nothing more than a 500 with a stretched reciever to handle 3.5" loads.  Its barrel is also what would be considered "normal 12 gauge" bore diameter.  Combine that with its light weight and stock design and you get that familiar Mike Tyson haymaker punch to the shoulder, similar to the Remington 870 Super Mag...except the 870 is much heavier.  It is not an 835 with a 500's barrel on it.  No parts are interchangable and the 535 uses the accu choke, not the accu-mag choke.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

chatterbox

Had I been smarter, I woulda bought an 835.
Wish I had one now. They throw a heck of a better pattern.

SpringFever

Quote from: chatterbox on April 16, 2011, 03:50:56 AM

Have you shot both guns side by side with exact same conditions? How do you know, or anybody know, that the 835 throws A HECK OF a better pattern? Yes, you guessed it, I am a 535 owner. I have never shot the 835 but did do some patterning last week with my 535. My best patterns were 288 and 298. Those numbers are in the better half of patterns id say after reading on here.

So your saying id get 350 and a much more even pattern by just switching guns?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 10:33:03 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on April 16, 2011, 03:50:56 AM

Have you shot both guns side by side with exact same conditions? How do you know, or anybody know, that the 835 throws A HECK OF a better pattern? Yes, you guessed it, I am a 535 owner. I have never shot the 835 but did do some patterning last week with my 535. My best patterns were 288 and 298. Those numbers are in the better half of patterns id say after reading on here.

So your saying id get 350 and a much more even pattern by just switching guns?

Go look at the patterns I recently shot with my 28" barrel 835 with the Star Dot and Pure Gold chokes.  Then you will answer your own question.   Those were back to back shots I might add and the first 2 shots of the day.  No 535 I know of will shoot like that.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here I'll bring them here so you can see.  1st shot of the day.

2nd shot of the day

SpringFever

ok ya those are amazing   :lol:   But dangit I bet my 535 could do that if I had the time and money, emphasis on the money. Until then, my 290+ will do just grand   :you_rock:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 11:06:22 AM
ok ya those are amazing   :lol:   But dangit I bet my 535 could do that if I had the time and money, emphasis on the money. Until then, my 290+ will do just grand   :you_rock:

Do you hunt or does the number of pellets in a 10" circle mean the dif between going home empty handed or a trophy and prize money??  Pretty sure high 280's, 290's is gonna do the job on any turkey!! ;)
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SpringFever

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 16, 2011, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: SpringFever on April 16, 2011, 11:06:22 AM

Do you hunt or does the number of pellets in a 10" circle mean the dif between going home empty handed or a trophy and prize money??  Pretty sure high 280's, 290's is gonna do the job on any turkey!! ;)

Oh my gosh yes I hunt! But like many on here, I have gotten somewhat infactuated with this 10" circle. Probably for the worse because I always want to improve it. However, for the better because I have learned so much and most importantly-have a much better pattern now and confidence to go along with it!

longspur

I considered both guns but went with the 535 because of it's ability to double as a home-defense shotgun.    Slugs should not be fired through overbored barrels because they can literally "rattle" down the bore.    This hurts accuracy, and is hard on the barrel.

I don't know anything much about slug guns or how accurate a slug should be but my 835 will plug them in the same hole at 40 yds. been aiming to shoot 100 yds but haven't got around to it